Lighting pellet stove options

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
MButkus said:
For years I bought "fire starter" bricks... I get them in May for dirt cheap in Shop Rite and save them for next year.
I cut them up into 2" squares and they light with a match. By the time they ignite, there are pellets in the pot and in 10min.
FIRE !

When I had my wood stove, I used to buy those. I used a "Surform" (autobody lingo for a cheese grater type thing for shaping plastic body filler), and shaved those blocks into little pieces. Put kindling in, sprinkled a handfull over them, put logs in, and lit the edge of the kindling. Guess it would be evn better with pellets.

But I still think the dollar store sanitizer is the cheapest way to go.

macman said:
dbjordan said:
.....there is a good chance the alcohol just burns off and the pellets never light. ...

That's why I and others suggested cheap dollar store hand sanitizer....it's already in gel form, and doesn't evaporate quickly.
I use the denatured alcohol for removing flux in electronics repairs, so I always have it, nothing more to buy. Soaking some pellets worked great once I ran out of the gel the dealer gave me with my first stove. With my St. Croix I just push the button and walk away, no more chemicals.

My auto ignitor failed this morning so I tried the blow torch trick. It took 15 seconds and the stove was running at temp in no time. My stove took at least 5 minutes to light using the ignitor and uses 5 times the pellets to start up. I am glad this happened because I think I like the torch method better. Use the torch with the auto ignitor for ease.

Status
Not open for further replies.