Lignomat Moisture Meter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eightpilot

Jul 2, 2008
Northern WI
Parents ordered me one for my birthday and was wondering if anyone has used this digital moisture meter? Reads between 6-55% and should be handy in dtermining how seasoned my wood really is. That is if they're accurate. Anyone know?? They're kind of pricey if they're not accurate... All comments welcome...lol 8

Not familiar with that model, but it's presumably OK, though possibly a bit overkill... Most folks seem to get along fine with a cheapy meter from Harbor Freight or Flea-buy.

The general opinion is that for firewood a rough guess will do a good enough job, so the cheaper meters are all that's needed. The fancy meters are more for the folks that are doing fancy woodworking where they need to have precise numbers.

Another factor is that generally it is preferable to have a two pin meter than a four pin. The four pin meters are more accurate, but require a very flat surface (such as a finished board) to get the uniform penetration with all four pins needed to make them work. A two pin meter is much easier to use on the rough surface of a typical split.

Gooserider

we use em for hardwood flooring, It'l def. work for firewood

Status
Not open for further replies.