Liking the PE Alderlea T6

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

certified106

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 22, 2010
Athens, Ohio
I am really starting to get in a groove with this stove now and I am finding it a pleasure to burn at this point. I loaded it up at 8:30 with Pine last night on medium sized bed of coals with the stove top at 250. After about 20 minutes I had it shut down and burning great went to bed and reloaded 10 hours later with the stove top at around 200-250 and the blower still running. I initially had some hesitations loading up a hot stove full of pine but I am continually amazed with how mild mannered this stove can be! I have had no problems keeping a very controlled burn so far and I have been thrilled with the burn times so far. I imagine the burn times will get even better with a full load of Oak and Hickory as the weather gets cooler but so far the pine has been keeping the house a very comfortable 70-76 degrees.
I have also found that the stove is now the centerpiece of the living room when we have friends or family around everyone enjoys sitting there staring at the fire commenting on how gorgeous it is. With the Dutchwest it was always just a black box as you couldn't see a darn thing through the glass on the front of it.

The stove was born in softwood country. Though it has no objections to hardwood, it will burn pine, hemlock or fir all day and night without a hiccup or whimper. How are you loading the stove for the night? What size splits? N/S, E/W?

Glad to hear that Cert, so far I love the T-5 it puts out alot of heat and is easy to start and run..

Ray

raybonz said:
Glad to hear that Cert, so far I love the T-5 it puts out alot of heat and is easy to start and run..

Ray

You're using hard wood, right? What type of usable heat times are you getting out of the T5?

BrowningBAR said:
raybonz said:

Ray

You're using hard wood, right? What type of usable heat times are you getting out of the T5?

Yes right now a mix of ash, maple and locust.. 3/4 load last night went to bed with air about 1/8 open and 8 hrs. later enough coals to restart with no kindling.. Seems very efficient so far..

Ray

raybonz said:
BrowningBAR said:
raybonz said:

Ray

Yes right now a mix of ash, maple and locust.. 3/4 load last night went to bed with air about 1/8 open and 8 hrs. later enough coals to restart with no kindling.. Seems very efficient so far..

Ray

And the firebox is about 2.1-2.3 cu ft on the T5?

BrowningBAR said:
raybonz said:
BrowningBAR said:
raybonz said:

Ray

Ray

And the firebox is about 2.1-2.3 cu ft on the T5?

Somewhere around 2.1 cu. ft. if I recall correctly.. The efficiency on low burn is rated around 83%..

Ray

The T5 is the same size as the mid-sized Super27 and Spectrum PE stoves, 2 cu ft.

BeGreen said:
The T5 is the same size as the mid-sized Super27 and Spectrum PE stoves, 2 cu ft.

8 hours from a 2 cu ft stove. Not bad.

The T6 with hardwood should go nearly 12 it would seem if it is getting 10 on softwood. I'm keeping the T-Series as a back up solution incase the VC cat stoves are to worry-some. The clearance are fantastic.

BrowningBAR said:
BeGreen said:

8 hours from a 2 cu ft stove. Not bad.

The T6 with hardwood should go nearly 12 it would seem if it is getting 10 on softwood. I'm keeping the T-Series as a back up solution incase the VC cat stoves are to worry-some. The clearance are fantastic.

The blower makes a big difference on the T-5 and is worth the expense.. The stove in sitting less than 10' away and it's still comfortable.. Glad I stayed with convection stoves I find them better to be around..

Ray

8 hrs is great!!! i have same stove and only get bout 5 and thats when i have just a little bit coals left.

marreque said:
8 hrs is great!!! i have same stove and only get bout 5 and thats when i have just a little bit coals left.

What type of wood are you burning? Is your wood dry? What setting is your air set at? I am wondering if you are getting too much air with either a leaky door or glass gasket.. I would also check that your ash dump is fully sealed.. I expected to get overnight burns and so far so good.. One more thing it's a good idea to keep an inch or so of ashes in the bottom of the stove..

Ray

BeGreen said:

Thanx BG I read that thread that you posted.. The way I see it is if I have enough coals in the AM to rake them to the front and add wood and it takes off to me that's an 8 hr. burn if I loaded the stove 8 hrs. before.. Am I wrong to think this way and if so how do you define burn time? I think this question leaves a lot to interpretation...

Ray

FWIW in my second year with my T5, mine is straight up chimney 15 ft total.. i loaded 6 splits of dry oak at 5:30 last night, this morning at 3 am stove was just less than 200 degrees, threw some poplar small split pieces on and it took off. 45 min later and its back in cruise, im still learning this stove after using small intrepid cat for years, i have the fan option but rarely use it. the T5 is a easy to operate great heater..

jetmech said:
FWIW in my second year with my T5, mine is straight up chimney 15 ft total.. i loaded 6 splits of dry oak at 5:30 last night, this morning at 3 am stove was just less than 200 degrees, threw some poplar small split pieces on and it took off. 45 min later and its back in cruise, im still learning this stove after using small intrepid cat for years, i have the fan option but rarely use it. the T5 is a easy to operate great heater..

Sounds similar to my experience jetmech.. Loaded the stove at 9:45 PM last night and at 7 AM I still have enough coals to relight.. Temp went down to 30 last night and it's 75 degrees inside right now without a reload in a 1632 sq. ft. home..

Ray

Ray, do you load yours full to the baffle, i have found if i load more than 6 splits i get high pipe temps... by high i mean over 475 on a condar magnetic thermometer on singlewall pipe 18 in up from collar, just curious its the only thing that keeps me from loading it more.. i have the fan so if it gets a little to warm it cools the box about 150 degrees. i had a stove temp of 650 with the oak about 1.5 hrs after reload with constant secondarys. i really love this stove it is so easy to use....

jetmech said:
Ray, do you load yours full to the baffle, i have found if i load more than 6 splits i get high pipe temps... by high i mean over 475 on a condar magnetic thermometer on singlewall pipe 18 in up from collar, just curious its the only thing that keeps me from loading it more.. i have the fan so if it gets a little to warm it cools the box about 150 degrees. i had a stove temp of 650 with the oak about 1.5 hrs after reload with constant secondarys. i really love this stove it is so easy to use....

Last night when I loaded it onto some hot coals I filled it to within an inch of the baffle and it was OK.. I wouldn't worry about 475 and I would also question the accuracy of the Condar.. I find the Condars tend to be off a bit and generally on the high side as verified with my Raytek IR and my stack occasionally hits 475 but usually stays around 400-450.. Try closing down the air a bit sooner to prevent too much wood from burning at the same time and your temp should go down, does this make sense? It is now 11 1/4 hrs. since I loaded it and I still have a pile of hot coals which I just pushed to the back of the stove and have the air all the way down to preserve them.. Locust sure coals up nicely and so does Oak! This stove couldn't be any easier to use..

Ray

Sounds good, gonna try loading more during day when i can monitor it... another unique thing about this stove is i get very little ash left from a burn, i used to dump ash with the intrepid almost daily, i only remove ash from the t5 once in a while. guess its a more complete burn.

Well it sounds like everyone is getting along nicely with their stoves. I am really looking forward to burning through the rest of this pine so I can move on to burning some of the good stuff. :) Obviously the pine doesn't coal at all so there isn't many coals to hold you over if you dont reload at the end of the burn. I got 9 hours on all pine last night and it was from a really cold reload so I was happy with that got up at 7am through some more in and we were off to the races and shutting it down 20 minutes later.

jetmech said:
Sounds good, gonna try loading more during day when i can monitor it... another unique thing about this stove is i get very little ash left from a burn, i used to dump ash with the intrepid almost daily, i only remove ash from the t5 once in a while. guess its a more complete burn.

I agree there is less ashes as the secondary burn really cooks the wood plus the firebox has lots of room for ashes.. I haven't used the ashbin so far as it's easy enough to shovel from the firebox.. Keeps us posted on how this works out for you..

Ray

raybonz said:
jetmech said:

I agree there is less ashes as the secondary burn really cooks the wood plus the firebox has lots of room for ashes.. I haven't used the ashbin so far as it's easy enough to shovel from the firebox.. Keeps us posted on how this works out for you..

Ray

I have been burning Pine all fall and I have yet to clean the ash out in fact I was begining to wonder if the stove is eating the ash as there is next to none in my stove. :)

certified106 said:
Well it sounds like everyone is getting along nicely with their stoves. I am really looking forward to burning through the rest of this pine so I can move on to burning some of the good stuff. :) Obviously the pine doesn't coal at all so there isn't many coals to hold you over if you dont reload at the end of the burn. I got 9 hours on all pine last night and it was from a really cold reload so I was happy with that got up at 7am through some more in and we were off to the races and shutting it down 20 minutes later.

Cert I have mixed in a little pine and it gives really nice secondaries.. I only burn the small dead pines I get on my property and they make good kindling.. Looks like the Alderlea crowd is generally happy.. At 1st I didn't think the secondary burn stoves would be as efficient as the cat stoves but the T-5 has been proving me wrong especially on low burns!

Ray

certified106 said:
I am really starting to get in a groove with this stove now and I am finding it a pleasure to burn at this point. I loaded it up at 8:30 with Pine last night on medium sized bed of coals with the stove top at 250. After about 20 minutes I had it shut down and burning great went to bed and reloaded 10 hours later with the stove top at around 200-250 and the blower still running. I initially had some hesitations loading up a hot stove full of pine but I am continually amazed with how mild mannered this stove can be! I have had no problems keeping a very controlled burn so far and I have been thrilled with the burn times so far. I imagine the burn times will get even better with a full load of Oak and Hickory as the weather gets cooler but so far the pine has been keeping the house a very comfortable 70-76 degrees.
I have also found that the stove is now the centerpiece of the living room when we have friends or family around everyone enjoys sitting there staring at the fire commenting on how gorgeous it is. With the Dutchwest it was always just a black box as you couldn't see a darn thing through the glass on the front of it.

Nice job with your stove. I keep hearing good things about these Alderlea stoves.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.