Line in middle of split.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MagdalenaP

Burning Hunk
Nov 10, 2018
Tilbury, ON
What exactly is this line with horizontal ridges in the middle?
I'm not too sure what this wood is, maybe walnut?

Thank you in advance :)

woodid.jpg

It's the pith. The cells are parenchyma cells which in this case transport or store water and nutrients. The same type of cells are used in other parts of the plant, for example in the leaves to hold chloroplasts where photosynthesis happens.

Reactions: Ashful
It's the pith. The cells are parenchyma cells which in this case transport or store water and nutrients. The same type of cells are used in other parts of the plant, for example in the leaves to hold chloroplasts where photosynthesis happens.
Oh sure, if ya wanna get all technical about it...I was just gonna say that's the splitter target :p ;lol

Reactions: johneh
I have always wondered this as well, thank you for the answer.

Doesn't the rest of the sapwood convey water up the tree? Are the parenchyma cells "better" at it?

Doesn't the rest of the sapwood convey water up the tree?
Yes.
Are the parenchyma cells "better" at it?
I would expect water to flow well through the pith since the cell walls are thin. But it would not have the capillary action that the xylem has so maybe it don't work as well for transport as the tree gets taller. Given the diameter of the split I'd expect the tree top to be beyond that height so maybe the pith is just left over from an early stage of growth and was not functional for water transport when the tree was felled though it could be used for water storage.

Take a pic from farther away. Also take a pic of bark.
Could be black walnut, could be oak.