Liner for a fireplace insert Winter Warm

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tango_1000

Jan 14, 2015
Durham, NC
I just got a used Vermont Castings, Winter Warm in great shape.
I'm thinking to "insert" it in my actual fireplace, I have now gas logs I never use.
Would like to ask if someone here can advice me about the liner I need for it.
I have the chimney very tall at about 36 feet.
Do I need to insulate it? it is a brick chimney no very old, maybe 20 years and probably was never used, We moved here 2 years ago.
And the other question...Is the liner have to go all the way up to the top? or I can put lets say a 25 foot inside the chimney...
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks

yes it needs to be insulated and yes it needs to run to the top. You will regret it if you dont do either one

Welcome to the forum!

Don't forget to install a block-off plate to keep the heat in the house: https://www.hearth.com/talk/wiki/make-a-damper-sealing-block-off-plate/
The Winterwarm will want dry wood with an internal moisture content of less than 20%. Do you already have several cords of dry wood?
The Winterwarm is not that easy to operate. I recommend to search in the forum for experiences from other users.

Status
Not open for further replies.