Liner help with a cat stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jesse83

Oct 25, 2013
WA
I'm going to be installing a blaze king princess insert. My chimney is 13' tall they recommend 15' will the 2' be an issue?
The other problem I have is my flue is 6" x 10". They recommend a 6" insulated liner. Is the insulated liner really necessary? Our previous house never had an insulated liner but it wasn't a cat stove.
I have 3 options and I'd like to see what you recommend.
Option 1.
Buy 6" flexible liner and ovallize the entire liner to fit down the 6x10 chimney then either get the pour in mix insulation insulate the entire liner, or insulate just the top 1', or don't insulate.
Option 2,
Order oval liner then insulate same as option 1 or don't insulate.
Option 3,
Bust out the clay tiles and install a 6" preinsulated liner.
I would really like everyone's opinion. Like I said this is my 1st cat stove and I don't want to deal with getting any smoke in our house. We live in Washington state our winter lows are usually 40's high 30's and maybe a week or 2 in the 20's.
Thanks!

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
I'm going to be installing a blaze king princess insert. My chimney is 13' tall they recommend 15' will the 2' be an issue?
The other problem I have is my flue is 6" x 10". They recommend a 6" insulated liner. Is the insulated liner really necessary? Our previous house never had an insulated liner but it wasn't a cat stove.
Option 1.
Buy 6" flexible liner and ovallize the entire liner to fit down the 6x10 chimney then either get the pour in mix insulation insulate the entire liner, or insulate just the top 1', or don't insulate.
Option 2,
Option 3,
I would really like everyone's opinion. Like I said this is my 1st cat stove and I don't want to deal with getting any smoke in our house. We live in Washington state our winter lows are usually 40's high 30's and maybe a week or 2 in the 20's.
Thanks!
3. Even if ovalized, it will be trouble getting down the chimney when insulated.

I think the Princess will run on under 15' if I recall what @Highbeam said. I would want an insulated liner on it for sure. Homesaver Roundflex has some oval and rectangular liners. It is heavy duty stuff, and not cheap.

I think the Princess will run on under 15' if I recall what @Highbeam said. I would want an insulated liner on it for sure. Homesaver Roundflex has some oval and rectangular liners. It is heavy duty stuff, and not cheap.

The princess hasn't changed in many many years. Until recently, the owner's manual required only 12' of chimney. Now, the manual requires 15'. I only have 12' which meets the spec for my stove and it works great but 15' might work better. It's hard to say exactly why they changed the requirement to 15'. Maybe for standardization, maybe too many complaints of smoke spillage, or maybe the longer stack supports a lower burn rate. We all love lower burn rates.

The manual also specifies a draft strength requirement. If you can meet that requirement with 12' do you suppose that there is any need to spend money for 15'?

Option 1.
Option 2,
Option 3,
Thanks!

Option #4. Rip that silly pile of bricks down and install a freestanding princess with a rigid metal chimney all the way up. That's what I did, it was cheap, and is a superior performer to masonry.

Aesthetically though, it's a pipe and masonry can be very pretty. We have earthquakes here, we have lots of rain here, and masonry can be a pain.

Option #4. Rip that silly pile of bricks down and install a freestanding princess with a rigid metal chimney all the way up. That's what I did, it was cheap, and is a superior performer to masonry.

Aesthetically though, it's a pipe and masonry can be very pretty. We have earthquakes here, we have lots of rain here, and masonry can be a pain.
Its kind of hard to do that with an insert.

Aesthetically though, it's a pipe, and masonry can be very pretty.
Yeah, avoid the hilbilly-lookin' pipe. JK..I'm a hillbilly at heart; Pile of scrap metal in the yard and a junker car that I strip parts off of. ;lol I can understand the 'quake concern. We don't live in the "disastrous zone" of what they project for the New MADrid seismic system, only in the "ruinous zone." :oops: I don't think the chimney cap and bricks can fly far enough to hit us when we're in bed, at least.. ;lol

Reactions: ddddddden
Sounds like insulating is a must on this stove. Thanks for everyone's opinion. My next question is should I remove the clay block liner for room to install a 6" insulated liner or install a oval 4.5"x9.1" liner then use the pour down insulation? My brick chimney and clay liner are both in good condition.

Sounds like insulating is a must on this stove. Thanks for everyone's opinion. My next question is should I remove the clay block liner for room to install a 6" insulated liner or install a oval 4.5"x9.1" liner then use the pour down insulation? My brick chimney and clay liner are both in good condition.
Do you have proper clearances?

I have the same 6X10 clay tiles as you. I purchased the oval insulated rigid duraliner that went all the way down the chimney. I have a progress hybrid and it works great with this setup. The pipe is more expensive but is insulated and rigid which has advantages. The oval duraliner comes in a 6" equivalent and will fit in the 6X10 clay tile. I did the installation myself and had everything inspected. The stove drafts great!

Example:

https://www.northlineexpress.com/6-...igid-chimney-relining-pipe-6dlr-48o-6055.html

My i.d. of my chimney is 6"x10" if I removed the clay liner it would be 8x12" Rockford chimney said I can use there 4.5"x9.1" liner and use there pour in insulation without removing anything. I was just wondering if that would insulate it enough.

Another vote for busting out the old clay liner, and running an insulated pipe. You can always run the stove on less, but it will affect how far you can turn it down, which after all, is a very big part of the reason we love our Blaze Kings.

Also, with the right top plate, you can extend above the existing masonry stack. Not my area of expertise, but I've seen several here specify or use that method.

Another vote for busting out the old clay liner, and running an insulated pipe. . .
+1
I think a round pipe will be easier to clean too.

Also, with the right top plate, you can extend above the existing masonry stack. Not my area of expertise, but I've seen several here specify or use that method.
Craig was selling some old stock of something like this a few years ago. Looks like a cupola you set atop the chimney, then you run the pipe up through it for an extra few feet. I don't recall what what it's called though.

Last edited:

THIS!!!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk