Liner in clay tile flue, questions for DIY install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pma1123

Burning Hunk
Dec 11, 2013
Watertown, WI
I am working with my dad to do some updating to the woodstove we have at our cabin. Currently there is a Defiant Volcano II wood furnace being used as a free-standing stove with the HVAC outlet being vented out gangsta-style via a 90 degree elbow in the plenum. The 8" stove collar is immediately reduced down to 6", then 2 single wall 45's/short straights lead up to the thimble of a masonry chimney. And yes, we do get some smoke spillage with the immediate reduction at the stove collar. This stove actually only gets a cord per year burned in it absolute max, seeing this is a vacation home with mostly summer use.

The chimney itself is a good condition masonry chimney with square clay tile inside that measure 6.75"x6.75 inside, and 8.25" x 8.25" outside. There is 15 feet from the topmost tile down to the thimble, and its a straight shot.

The plan is to ditch the Volcano II and do a DIY flue liner install. Tenative replacement stove being discussed is an NC30 or Myraid. The floor is concrete, so no worries about R-value or ember protection.

The liner will be a straight-shot down to the thimble. Should I be looking at flex liner, or rigid liner? Given the inside dimension of the tile, I won't have space to insulate a 6" liner. Overall, I'm looking at about 17 feet of height from stove to the top of the chimney with this setup. Will that be sufficient for the stoves I mentioned? If not, how do you 'extend' the height of a liner? Can I just put a piece of class A with rain cap on top of the sealing plate?

With this liner setup, when you sweep the flue, do you have to remove the connector pipe to vaccum out the accumulated creosote in the thimble tee? Currently we brush the square tile and shovel out the cleanout door on the bottom.

Last edited:
Just extend it down and add another tee for the clean out And seal any gaps at the bottom. I strongly recommend insulating we would break out the old liners but that really is not a diy job. It should be done for performance safety and code reasons unless you have the required clearance to combustibles. If you cant have them broken out a wrapped rigid may fit but it will be very tight you should also check the dimension of duraliner it is a preinsulated liner system that has a pretty small od.

Here is a page stating the code and explaining required clearances http://www.rumford.com/code/clearances.html

Status
Not open for further replies.