Liner install details.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CenterTree

Minister of Fire
Sep 15, 2008
SouthWest-Central PA
Finally going to install a new insulated, SS flexible, smooth wall liner I got from Fireside Chimney last season.

I watched a few good videos and obtained mega info here, but still have a few questions.
The setup is a 23 foot length, attached TEE, no clean-out, through concrete block wall in basement about 18 inches. Top plate with rain cap.

;?1. Regarding the top plate function > Does it have the sole burden of supporting the weight of the liner or should the bottom cap of the TEE rest on something rigid? Or should the TEE hang suspended with flue?

;? 2. Also, should the horizon TEE snout rest on anything as it passes through the wall? Or should it float? ( I may wrap it with insulation also).

;?3. Top plate strap: To clarify, there should be no insulation at the point where the strap secures the liner, correct?

;?4. Should any type of furnace cement be used at the joints such as where the TEE attaches to the liner or where the snout meets the TEE hole. (the snout is the strap type). Seems like there may be a little gap at that spot.

I appreciate info from the pro's here. ;) THANKS!

Last edited:
1. If you have a clean out door in the concrete chimney where you could add some support under the T, it wouldn't hurt, but I don't see it as being necessary.

2. Same thing here with support, if there is some to help make certain there is no sagging, etc, then it can't hurt, but if you put insulation here make certain it's rockwool and up to the task of the heat it could potentially encounter.

3. Run insulation up as far as you can, but obviously the strap has priority.

4. Furnace cement couldn't hurt here, but I don't see it as a requirement.

All this work and no pics!???!! :p

1. If you have a clean out door in the concrete chimney where you could add some support under the T, it wouldn't hurt, but I don't see it as being necessary.

No clean-out door. I would add the support prior to dropping in the liner/TEE. Maybe some bricks or concrete. There is about 8 inches there now below where the TEE cap will be.

2. Same thing here with support, if there is some to help make certain there is no sagging, etc, then it can't hurt, but if you put insulation here make certain it's rockwool and up to the task of the heat it could potentially encounter.

^I was just going to use the SAME insulation wrap that came with the liner. (the left overs) Is it okay to use??

All this work and no pics!???!!:p
Thought pics of a liner would be kind of boring.;lol;em

I'll most likely put up another thread as I get the whole project going. Thanks

yep, you are doing great (other than the lack of pics of course >>) ). If you have leftover insulation for the liner then that's good for the application.

Status
Not open for further replies.