liner movement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sullystull

Feeling the Heat
May 7, 2008
WV Mountains
I have a 6" SS insulated liner installed within my exterior block chimney--the terra cotta tiles were removed to accommodatethe liner. Because of this, if you open up the clean out door of the block chimney and grab the bottom of the liner, you can move it back and forth an inch or two within the block chimney. You can also grab the liner inside the wall pass through and move it in and out an inch. The pass thru itself stays in place. I never thought it was a big deal--I have always been careful when cleaning the pass thru--not to push it too hard with the brush.

I have a top vent oslo, with about 40" of vertical black single wall, leading to a 90 elbow which connects directly to the pass thru and on out to the exterior. Last night the wind was howling and I noticed the liner within the pass thru was moving slightly--causing my vertical black pipe to move back and forth about 1/2 inch. Is this normal? I contacted the chimney service who did the original install and they said it was. Anyone else have "play" in their liner?

Thanks

I wouldn't consider that movement normal - the pipe and joints anren't engineered to accept any movement. I'd recommend securing it somehow - you might be able to minimise the movement with some rockwool around it, and take a better look after the heating season is over. I wouldn't accept the installers comment though - ask him if he's certain the joints were designed to hold after moving like that.

The installer did say this:
"The liners are packed with a ceramic fiber blanket in the tee area (where your pipe goes through the wall) and it is normal for that packing to compress a little over time. Having a liner that moves as yours does is pretty typical. The packing can be "refreshed" during a service if needed but it's not a functional problem in the mean time."

Anyone else have this issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.