Liner question for short run

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bhorning

Feb 10, 2009
Ohio
I have recently installed a wood stove. Vermont Castings Intrepid II. This was installed on a hearth in front of the opening for an existing Heat-a-later (sp?) gas fireplace (which I removed only the logs and damper). The existing chimney is 8" round and I went all the way to the T at the stove with the 6" ss liner. The liner is NOT insulated since I believe the 8" pipe already there is. The entire length is only 12' long.

I am experiencing LOTS of back draft when first lighting the stove or trying to warm the flu and it takes quite some time to get a decent burn going.

Any suggestions or hints would be very helpful.

<>I have recently installed a wood stove. Vermont Castings Intrepid II. This was installed on a hearth in front of the opening for an existing Heat-a-later (sp?) gas fireplace (which I removed only the logs and damper). <>

No, you didn't...
You removed a GASLOG SET from a ZERO-CLEARANCE wood burning fireplace.

<>The existing chimney is 8" round and I went all the way to the T at the stove with the 6" ss liner. The liner is NOT insulated since I believe the 8" pipe already there is. <>

This is air-cooled wood vent, & you really need to rework your installation.
That wood vent is not rated for the temperatures produced by a woodstove.
The entire liner needs to be removed & wrapped with insulation to make this a code-compliant, SAFE install...

<>The entire length is only 12' long.<>

I bet it's AT LEAST 3' too short...

<>I am experiencing LOTS of back draft when first lighting the stove or trying to warm the flu and it takes quite some time to get a decent burn going.<>

Insulate your liner & extend it - if you can...
It'll draft better & you may still have a house at the end of the winter...

Status
Not open for further replies.