Liner review if anyone's interested.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

cmonSTART

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
The following is an informational post for anyone who cares based on the work I did today. I have no idea why anyone would even care about this but here it is anyway :

We're installing a new oil boiler in our house so I had to reline the chimney. I figured I would try a new liner I haven't used - never hurts to try something new.

I tried Ventinox Fasnsmooth 6 inch smooth wall liner. For those who haven't seen a smooth wall flex liner the inner wall is made to be smooth instead of corrugated like a normal liner. It adds to the price but the smooth wall adds (they say) 20% more flow capacity than a normal liner. Here is what I found:

Significantly more expensive than a normal flex liner.

Straightened right out on it's own but is pretty flexible. The liner wants to default to being straight so it's very easy to set up and drop down a tight chimney. Went around offsets no prob. A+ Very impressed!

Not very crush resistant. I had to be careful not to over tighten the clamps and take care not to dent it while dragging it on some edges.

Components were good. Wish they would have mentioned the tee didn't come with a bottom cover.

I have a hunch it cannot be coiled tightly enough to ship UPS, even for a 25' or less length. Just a hunch.

Once passed the price hurdle I would absolutely use this liner again given the opportunity. I have every reason to believe it will perform very well and it seems to be a high quality product.

So there it is. Boring stuff, eh? Just posted in case this info was useful for someone.

Do you have any pics... I think the 20% is a load, maybe 2-5% We did the smooth wall thing but it wasn't worth it, and one of the reasons they didn't coil it tightly is because if you do it brings the smooth wall up just like a standard corrugated liner... Their is a reason why most people don't make it.. Still a good liner.. Wish they hadn't of sold out to Duravent.

Status
Not open for further replies.