Little scare tonight!!!!!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

2broke2ride

Burning Hunk
Dec 23, 2014
Townsend MA
The Efel harmony hit almost 800 on the stove top tonight[emoji15] it peaked out at 785 and is dropping now that's with the fresh air damper closed all the way and the key damper in the pipe closed all the way!!!!!!!!!
I'm not really sure why it did that, I did a pretty routine last load of the night of 4 medium oak splits on top of two burned down pine splits. Went in the other room for ten or so minutes to give the load time to get going the. Went back and turned the air down (the stove has a thermo draft control so it closes itself down) I just visually make sure the flap has closed itself then set the control to minimum for the overnight) stove top was right about 600 at that point. Went and laid down to read hearth before bed in about a half hour noticed it seemed really hot in my room which is next to the stove room. So I went to check the stove and to my shock it was at 730 and climbing so I closed the key damper all the way trying to slow the burn and watched it continue to climb till it leveled at 785 and started to drop.
I know this stove needs a reseal but my wood is not really well seasoned (oak css in the spring, no moisture meter) and I have never had a problem before. I'm thinking I'm gonna shut it down and reseal sooner than later at this point!!!!!

Mine getting that hot would bother me too. One night I threw in a bunch of shorties, 20 minutes later three loud bangs....my Condor thermometer was buried at 900*F, since then, the door scrapes the lip when I open / close it, guess something happened, this happened a couple years ago, I'm gonna heat up the hinge pins and use the door to try and bend things back in place once the season is over.

Mine ran hard last night for no apparent reason, as well. Sometimes it just happens. Winds from the proper direction to create a vacuum on the stack, a piece of wood that sucked up napalm when growing, whatever...sometimes it just happens. Thats why we monitor, take temp readings, etc. When inviting fire into your home, do so with the utmost care.

It was unusually windy, but I would have thought the warm temps would have offset it somewhat.

Winds can have both positive and negative affects on draft. Many things come into play such as house orientation or trees, other buildings, etc. If I get a strong wind from the direct East I have VERY strong draft and have to be extra diligent with stove operation. The opposite happens with a strong wind from the West.

Ya either way, when my wife's candles on the mantle melt the stove is too hot lol!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.