Loading a cat stove? How without damaging cats?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

777funk

Sep 12, 2014
MO
I'm curious now... I just read that opening the door with a hot cat will crack it or cause crumbling. How do I load the stove then? Isn't the point to keep things hot?

Forgive a rookie cat owner's question if this is overly basic!

thanks for any advice.

Try not to reload the stove if the cat is up in temp Should be no reason to do that anyways.
The cat will take some abuse though but if you abuse it often you could kill it!

You'll be disengaging the cat and have it in bypass mode when you reload anyway, just don't open a hot stove with the cat engaged.

Reactions: fox9988 and Ashful
You'll be disengaging the cat and have it in bypass mode when you reload anyway, just don't open a hot stove with the cat engaged.

That sure helps but the cat is still really hot for awhile even in by-pass.

By the time you load it, the cat will have cooled. Also, the bypass is where the cold air will rush so be sure to open the bypass each time.

Reactions: Ashful
I've been reloading my Ashford by disengaging the cat while the stove is hot and adding logs, then re-engaging the cat. Am I going to hurt the stove this way?

What's the alternative? Letting the cat crash and then reloading?

I've been reloading my Ashford by disengaging the cat while the stove is hot and adding logs, then re-engaging the cat. Am I going to hurt the stove this way?

Well if the cat and stove temps are down I would say no you won't hurt anything. Even if the stove and cat temps are up there I'm sure it won't kill it right away.
Wet wood would prolly do more damage.
Chris from BK says a leaky door gasket is not good.

I found the stove ran better by loading it full an let it run down to coals, when the cat got into the inactive zone with the stat turned all the way up is when I reloaded. I did load a little sooner in frigid weather but it was still down to coals.

Status
Not open for further replies.