Locating wood stove chimney near another chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Volcano

Hearth Supporter
Nov 11, 2008
Upstate NY
I would like to run my wood stove chimney alongside the existing stone chimney that is used for
my force-air oil furnace and oil-fired hot water heater. This would just be outside, above the roofline. I am worried about the exhaust from one affecting the other, with soot, smoke or other emissions. I do not know if there is some intake action that
occurs with either system that could cause some damage or hinder the operation of the other in some way.
What I would like to do is run the SS pipe from the stove, strapped to the side of the existing stone chimney, both for the sturdiness and because this woule be an excellent route to run the stove pipe. Do I also have ot worry about one being higher than the other?
Anyone have any wisdome to share? Thanks.

That's going to be hard to roof around so that it doesn't leak. There are many multi-flue chimneys being used for both wood and oil in seperate flues. It can be done. You have to assume that when any of the appliances are shut off that a negative draft could suck wood smoke down the cold flue. Different exit heights are a must along with a minimum seperation but I forget the actual rules.

Excellent point about sealing around the pipe where it comes through the roof.
And, the idea of negative draft is exactly what I am concerned with.
These things are so persnickity about how they breathe, I don't want to take any chances.
Even with minumum clearances and such, the more I can avoid risking things, the better
chances are for an efficient system.
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.