Location of damper in stove pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My preference is a couple feet over the stove. The handle stays cooler. With 2' lengths of pipe I'd probably put it about 6" up in the second length of pipe. Stay far enough away from the joint so that the butterfly doesn't snag on the pipe screws.

I liked them as high as I could comfortably reach mine were always at the top of the second piece of pipe and I always figured i got more heat out of the stove pipe that way. I would have 3-3 1/2 feet of really hot stove pipe and a really hot stove.

I always thought as close to the stove as possible to help keep that heat in the stove and control the draft.

I put mine down low. I'm not sure it matters where you put it...you can slow the draft right out of the box or 3ft up....and it's gunna get hot no matter where you put it but I can operate mine with my bare hands.

We used to always say to place it a foot above the stove. No less but higher is possible.

Pretty sure on our old stoves the damper was just less than 3 ft from the top of the stove...maybe about 30". It never got hot to the touch.

My damper just got moved higher up. Before it was about 2 feet or so up from the stove.
Now it is located after the elbow & before it goes into the chimney.
Works fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.