locking band chimney question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Woodworm21

Aug 23, 2017
Canada
I have a selkirk prefab 7" chimney (2inch insulated) that uses the locking bands. 2 questions:

A: on the top of each section you can see the insulation material, if I leave my cap off for any reason, will rain water and snow affect this material?

B: I have a new section of twist lock chimney, Can I connect this to the existing band lock to extend my stack over the peak? As in, is there a way to connect twist lock to band lock?

My Selkirk chimney I just installed was twist lock and also used the locking bands. So I'm not sure if you're referring to 2 different types or if yours is like mine and twist locks then secured with bands.