Lodgepole pine, juniper or a combination of both?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mustard Tiger

Feb 13, 2024
PNW
Where I am in southern Oregon it seems like the majority of firewood available is lodgepole pine or juniper. What would be the best choice for my new Sirocco 30.2? One or the other or a combination of both?

Lodgepole Pine has a btu rating of around 18. Juniper is higher, so better. But Juniper is a small, dirty, twisted tree. Lodgepole is large, tall and straight. So, Lodgepole is much easier to work with. If you are buying and the two cost the same get the Juniper. If you are going out and cutting and splitting yourself, get the Lodgepole. Or if the Lodgepole Pine is much cheaper buy it.

I'm guessing that you will also have Ponderosa Pine in your area. It is a bit less BTU than Lodgepole and is harder to work with. Lodgepole is a tall straight tree (generally) and is very easy to split. I've obtained 1.5 cords from one tree before. To get this much wood from Juniper you will need several trees, and you will need to sharpen your chain a couple of times. Douglas Fir is probably around you, too. It is like Lodgepole Pine but better and bigger. Maybe you can find a hardwood in your area (Oregon Oak?). This would be a good one to mix with your softwoods (pine, fir, and juniper). The most important thing is that any wood is dry before you burn it.

Last edited:
The BTU value per volume is not as interesting if the pieces can't be loaded as dense in your stove.
I suspect that loading density variations are easily 10 pct.
So if you have a choice go for the easy straight wood imo

I vote lodgepole, especially if starting the woodpile from scratch. It dries quickly, burns well, easy to process. Dry wood cannot be stressed enough, thats more important than what kind of wood imo.

Thanks you all for the input. Juniper is a little less expensive here per cord (around $25 less per cord) so it’s not really that big a deal between the two. Just wanted to ask to get the consensus which is better to burn in the Sirocco 30.2. I’ve read line created a lot of creosote and juniper can have a lot of resin and neither are “ideal” but it’s what’s most widely available here. Coworker of mine who has been running a BK King for years said they only use juniper and have never had any issues with their stove and get it for about $200 cord.

Resin or sap are not an issue if you burn wood that is dry.

I have burned a few cords of pitch pine in my BK. That's an aptly named tree...
Not an issue. It's ideal wood as it dries quick, was free, and burns well.

Reactions: Mustard Tiger