Log Jack

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bocefus78

Minister of Fire
Jul 27, 2010
Just Outside Indy
Are they worth the trouble? I just bought one off craigslist for $10. I figured for that price, it was worth trying. Did I just waste ten bucks?

By 'log jack," I assume you mean the device with which you can clamp a log or trunk and roll it over as well as slightly raise it off the ground to make cutting easier?

If so, I have one and I use it. It has a sort of 'T' leg on it that holds the jack and the log up in the air. I carry a 6" x 12" plank to put under the T-bar to keep it from sinking into the dirt. Works fine for me. For Ten bucks, why not?

I have been wanting one. Seems plenty useful to me.
Take a pic of it in use. You tell us if it was worth it.::P

Yes, Im talking about basically a peavey with a metal t on the other side that raises it off the ground. Good Idea on the board--note to self.

Mecreature.....I'll take some pics when I get to use it.

I don't go out in the woods without mine. If I am dealing with large diameter stuff I use the "cut 9/10th through and roll, finish cut", but If I am dealing with 12" stuff, I use the jack. Faster and less chance of hitting dirt IMHO.

Reactions: ScotO
I've often thought about getting one myself. For ten bucks you can't go wrong IMHO.

Are they worth the trouble? I just bought one off craigslist for $10. I figured for that price, it was worth trying. Did I just waste ten bucks?

"Worth it"? Not to me. Any log they are small enough to be useful on they are unnecessary, and they're useless on big logs.

For $10 you can't go wrong, save your back or a chain, it more than paid or it's self.
$100 here new ;)

For $10 you can't go wrong, save your back or a chain, it more than paid or it's self.
$100 here new ;)

Thats about what I paid for mine.... Little less than $100...

For $10, its worth its weight. Hickory handle is worth more than $10...

I've never used mine to jack up a log (I took off the "T"), but use the peavey all the time to roll over the big ones.

Mostly use them to get a chain under big logs when skidding them out.

Reactions: ScotO
I've never used mine to jack up a log (I took off the "T"), but use the peavey all the time to roll over the big ones.

I agree. Not great as a jack, but use mine as a peavey all the time. A steal at $10!

The timber jack I have works well. Large solid ash handel with a large hook and leg. I can roll and pick off the ground 10' , 14" log. Just another tool I like having in the quiver.

Status
Not open for further replies.