Log splitter trouble shooting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Squire

Nov 23, 2015
ohio
Need trouble shooting advice for my old, home made used log splitter. When I first start it, it works fine. After about 30 minutes of splitting, the ram does not have enough power to split anything. Once it cools down the process is repeated. I'm thinking the hydralics oil gets thin and the blows by in the cylindar as it warms up. Anyone have any other thoughts? Thanks

Check the Hydraulic Oil Level?
Check the Oil Supply hose, the one from the tank to the pump. These things have an inner tubing layer that can collapse over time.
After that it will be a systematic inspection of the rest of the hydraulic lines to see if they have collapsed internally. If your Rams' seals are worn and oil is 'blowing by', it will do it pretty consistently. Lastly, the pump itself.
Good Luck...

Jim

Reactions: triptester
Sounds like a pump issue to me, I had a 2 stage pump that did the same. Replaced with new one and tons of power, the when the pump gets warm the clearances in the pump grow also causing in to lose pressure of an already worn pump. But check everything else, I did and still had to buy a new pump.

Reactions: jaoneill
Check the oil first, there may be contaminants in it. If I had to bet though, I would say bad pump. You could try heavier oil and see if it makes any difference.

Possibility that air is being mixed into oil- that would allow for beginning working and then petering out. cause could be insufficient oil in reservoir

First and foremost - check the fluid level. You wouldn't believe the amount of problems a low oil level can cause. If you really want to start troubleshooting the system - an inexpensive gauge and T connector will be your friend.

How about a question or two before the diagnosis?

1. Has it always done this?
  2. How old is the pump?

I know this thread is a few weeks past, my old Didier did the same thing a few years ago & the fix was a new pump. Works like new now.

Thanks for the input. Was there any test you did to determine it was the pump and not the cylindar seals. I have replace the hyd oil and verified the level so I am down to pump or cylindar seals. Just trying which one to try first. Thanks

I had replaced the cylinder a few years prior - The Didier used a ball on the end of the rod to mount the push plate, and mine snapped off. Same as yours, the hotter the oil got, the less power to split.

Status
Not open for further replies.