Log splitter with 4way split

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Been kicking this around for a while. Still not sure.

I want a splitter(tonnage?). I've seen guys with 20 ton and seem to do OK with it. Why would someone want a unit that offers 26 plus tons if you can get away with 20? I realize that ram speed is a factor too.

Four way would be a real time saver. Most units that I see in pics on this website are just a single split type. Why are these four ways not more popular. I mean, do the math on it....makes a huge impact on time in plus the gas etc etc.

Thanks for input.

Many splitters did not/do not come with the 4-way. Then depending on the size of logs you usually get or the size of the splits you want, the 4-way may not work like you want. I prefer splitting my wood into slabs and not triangle/pie shaped pieces - and the smaller stuff I like to just split in half into slabs once again. I would not mind having the option of changing heads to a 4-way and back again but do not need it. Besides, most of the wood I get is oak and maple and ash that splits pretty nicely and I don't have to make a full pass through it. It takes more time moving the log and pieces around than actually splitting it.

You'll notice that most commercial splitters are the horizontal/vertical units with the wedge on the ram. I've never seen a 4-way splitter wedge mounted to the ram.

There's no good reason to use a 30 ton unit if a 20 ton will do the job and for most folks a 20 ton will do the job. Cylce time can be fast or slow on a 20 ton or a 30 ton. The 30 ton will allow you to split the oddball knot or crotch that would otherwise end up in the campfire or you could just cut that one piece and save the cost of fuel and extra splitter cost.

I've been wanting a hydro splitter for a long time, just don't want to part with the 1000$+

My splitter is capable of having the 4-way wings added to it. The main reason I don't put them on is that I'm always splitting different size pieces. Sometimes knotty and gnarley pieces. Sometime big around pieces. If I was splitting the same size log all the time, (about 12" diameter) then I agree they would be a big time saver.

The splitter I have has the ram pushing the wood into the wedge. I've thought about it also(4-way), might have a local fab guy build a slip on 4- way. But as pointed out, if all the wood was roughly the same diameter it would work. Get real fancy and make it so you could adjust the wedge up and down, like you see on some of the processor vids, if I was ever to do something that would be my choice. Watch a few of the videos and you'll see how having it adjustable would be the way to go.

Most of the wood I split will pop with an inch or two of penetration. On the particular size that a four-way would work with, I just put the two halves back together, give it a quarter turn, and have at it again. It's so fast doing it that way that the four-way wouldn't really save me much time. Slightly smaller rounds that I'd just want split in two, would end up smaller than I want with a four-way. Also, splitting way off centre near to the bark will often result in a slab that chips off the side rather than split all the way straight through.

For larger pieces, a four-way would not work for my stove and with a side table to set one of the halves on, resplitting the other half by slabbing is fast and easy.

Four-way or N-way is better suited to processors that by their nature have to do it all in one pass. As mentioned, the fancy ones will adjust the height and some models allow for a quick interchange from four to N-way.

On the topic of tons, I've never felt inadequate with 20 tons. More tonnage is had by either higher pressure or a larger cylinder. Almost always, it's a larger cylinder which also needs more GPM to keep the cycle time up. If everything is right-sized, then more tonnage will be more dollars too.

topic of tons, I’ve never felt inadequate with 20 tons

Cheers!
Granted, I don't see much 'big' wood here, max about 24 to rarely 32 inches. But, of all the splitters I've run, very rarely is the problem tons but always frustrated with slow speed. Usually cycling all the way to end of stroke, especially with elm, so cycle time is crucial to the total amount wood piled at end of day. If it is too big, quarter it with a saw or toss in the ditch and move on.
Bigger machines harder to manuever in the woods, slower cycle times.

Woodlots, or people in areas with big trees, whole different story but for me, speed is everything.
Partly why I am so insistent on two stage pumps and big pumps.

kcj

So... does anyone make a wedge designed to cut multiple slabs? Seems that would be useful and could be left on for whatever size wood you pushed through the splitter wouldn't it? just a thought.... I picture something with vertical cutters spaced perhaps 4-5" apart to make the slabs. Then if you push a log through that is wide enough you could end up with 3 or 4 slabs out of one pass.

I love my 4-way wedge. The wings are offset from the horizontal centerline, so it's perfect for a 12" round, or if I flip it over it's perfect for 18"+ rounds. I've been trying to keep my round piles organized - big (18"), medium (12"+) and small, and usually leave the wedge in place until I'm onto a new "size". But it just slips over the main wedge, so I can have in in-place or flipped over in literally under a second, which is dead time while I'm waiting for the ram to return anyways. I think a 4-way with a side table is a huge, huge time saver for me.

Oh, I forgot the tradeoff of the 4-way:

If you have a knotty piece of wood or something that is hard to split, the 4-way will have trouble. I've tried running it through some standing dead ash, maybe 24" diameter, and the wedge would get about 1/2" into the wood then hydraulics would go into bypass. I'd have to take the 4-way off to get those split.

I'm afraid to ask what that Timberwolf splitter cost. That splitter is sooweet!

heppm01 said:
The wings are offset from the horizontal centerline, so it's perfect for a 12" round, or if I flip it over it's perfect for 18"+ rounds...
The aftermarket four-way add-ons I've seen have an asymmetric wedge meaning that they look like a wood chisel, flat on one side and angled on the other. The flat side faces the beam supposedly so that the split doesn't wedge under it and lift it. I suppose, since they just slip on, that they are free to slide up if mounted upside down and that they'd fall back down on their own.

heppm01 said:
Oh, I forgot the tradeoff of the 4-way:
The four-way add-ons I've seen have staggered edges meaning that the vertical edge leads by a couple of inches. In most cases, the wood already pops before the horizontal edge touches so the tonnage load is spread out a bit.

It depends largely on wood species. If I was going to be splitting a great deal of elm, I'd want more tonnage than I get out of my 4" cylinder. Larger rounds will make my splitter work really hard, even with the 4-way removed. More tonnage would make me substantially more efficient on that kind of stuff.

In a perfect world, I think that 4.5" cylinder, 22gpm pump, and a 4-way and 6-way wedge setup would be ideal for a high-volume home splitter. The Timberwolf TW-5 and TW-5fc would meet this requirement pretty darned well...if they didn't cost so much!

Gonna have to build your own then. I value a quick cycle time so I want a 4" cylinder, 8 HP engine, and 16gpm pump. That's hard to find on the commercial market.

trafick said:
My splitter is capable of having the 4-way wings added to it. The main reason I don't put them on is that I'm always splitting different size pieces. Sometimes knotty and gnarley pieces. Sometime big around pieces. If I was splitting the same size log all the time, (about 12" diameter) then I agree they would be a big time saver.

Nice. I hadn't know of this issue in the debate between the 2-way and the 4-way.

That TW splitter is out of control. Zoweee! Yah, I'll take two please.

Highbeam said:
Gonna have to build your own then. I value a quick cycle time so I want a 4" cylinder, 8 HP engine, and 16gpm pump. That's hard to find on the commercial market.

The Iron and Oak Fast Cycle 20T uses those exact components and has an 8 second cycle time. I used one over Memorial Weekend and it was OUTSTANDING in every way. I want one...

Woodsman_WI said:
Highbeam said:

The Iron and Oak Fast Cycle 20T uses those exact components and has an 8 second cycle time. I used one over Memorial Weekend and it was OUTSTANDING in every way. I want one...

The Iron@Oak fast cycle has only a 3 1/2" bore cylinder.

DaveBP said:
The Timberwolf TW5FC uses an 11HP/22GPM/4" cylinder combo to get 6 second cycle times but they are very expensive.

http://www.timberwolfcorp.com/log_splitters/specs.asp?id=11

As in cars, motorcycles, boats, and all... speed costs money.

Something is funny then. See 11 GPM is 11 GPM and a 4" cylinder always has the same volume. The point is that I don't care what brand the splitter is, the specs dictate the ram speed and unless they are cheating by rating the "cycle time" differently then everyone else then they are lying. A neat trick might be to measure the cycle time on the typically needed 3" of ram travel to actually split a typical round.

I'm not seeing a lot of love for my splitter. Swisher. 12.5HP. 34 tons. 2 speed pump. Plenty fast, sorry, I don't know exactly how fast. I just modified a Northern Tools four way splitter to work on it. WOW! is all I can say. I run the engine just off idle and haven't found anything that it can't handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.