Log Splitters: Wheel location/in way? AND Right or Left side controls?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a genious idea Jags!! Simply add a small $100 hoist motor... love it! See the rest of my previous post, just edited it/added to it.

The lift can also be completely dropped from the machine in just a few minutes. This allows for entry to the splitter from either side. Note the control valve is center mounted.

Troy bilt 27 ton has split most of whatever I have thrown at it, even with the 4way wedge attached, no issues with the beam so far, not sure the full beam issue is warranted.

I'm wondering that myself. I can see the full beam definitely being a bit stronger as the piston is mounted much more solidly/stabil to it at the end. But then again, there is only one bolt holding it at the end, where the less than full lenght beam units have the piston bolted in 4 places ussually. But what I've been thinking about more is I'm not going to use this thing all that much, 2 to 4 cords a year most likely. So I doubt I will use it enough in 10 years to really wear it out and break the mount... and, the unit with a shorter beam will be much lighter and smaller to store. Storage space is a huge issue for me, so I'm starting to think the 27 ton troy via a sale / discount at Lowes may be the ticket for me with the offset beam I seam to like.

Anybody want to talk me down from this?

Machria, do note that most of the homeowner grade 27-ton units are painfully slow, as they typically use the same (11 GPM'ish) pump as their 22-ton counterparts, with a cylinder of 23% larger cross-section. A great example of this is the Huskee brand, although many others are similar:

22-ton: 13 sec.
28-ton: 17 sec.

I split larger stuff than all but perhaps a few of our members (wanna try some 50" diameter oak?), and I've yet to find something that I couldn't get the 22-ton ram thru. Dollar-for-dollar, I'd personally rather have the better cycle time for the miles of small stuff most folks get, than extra tonnage I don't often need for the very rare piece too tough for 22 tons.

Now, you can have the best of both worlds, a 28- or 30-ton unit with cycle times closer to 10 seconds, but that will bump you up to the $2600 - $3000 price range.

Reactions: TreePointer
I'm wondering that myself. I can see the full beam definitely being a bit stronger as the piston is mounted much more solidly/stabil to it at the end. But then again, there is only one bolt holding it at the end, where the less than full lenght beam units have the piston bolted in 4 places ussually. But what I've been thinking about more is I'm not going to use this thing all that much, 2 to 4 cords a year most likely. So I doubt I will use it enough in 10 years to really wear it out and break the mount... and, the unit with a shorter beam will be much lighter and smaller to store. Storage space is a huge issue for me, so I'm starting to think the 27 ton troy via a sale / discount at Lowes may be the ticket for me with the offset beam I seam to like.

Anybody want to talk me down from this?

There are many who are happy with their MTD/Troy-Bilt splitters. Just make sure you visit this splitter and some other brands in person. The TB splitters have a lower beam than Huskee/SpeeCo and some others--this is a comfort issue for those who split horizontally. TB did have an issue with cylinders failing at the trunion, but this seems to be resolved with beefier cylinders; nevertheless, this is why I prefer full beam models with clevis attachment. The other issue that some have is that the log catchers bend if a log or part of a log is pushed into the side of the catchers. What really kills them for me is their slow cycle times (19s on the 27-ton model).

What happens if you leave the 4 way on, and are splitting small, say 10" rounds that really don't need it.....

What happens if you leave the 4 way on, and are splitting small, say 10" rounds that really don't need it.....
I let it go to town on them, I use the top part split by the wings for kindling.

How about this unit? Fast 11 second cycle time, full beam, log cradle, H/V, $1,200 delivered (not tax or shipping)..... ? Never herd of "Dirty Hand Tools" ?
DHT makes some good splitters according to people that have gotten them over at AS.
http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/235400.htm

I REALLY like the "no tax" and "no shipping" idea. ;)

I haven't heard anything bad about the DHT models yet, but they haven't been around very long. It looks like an improved Huskee model, along the lines of the Oregon log splitter. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they're made at one of Blount International's factories (parent company of Oregon and SpeeCo/Huskee). It seems they both have assembly locations in Colorado. Coincidence?

Still waiting to see a picture of DHT's 4 way, I am no good at looking at drawings and seeing a completed product.

Just spoke to them on the phone for another question, but asked that for you. The 4 way is not available yet.

Jags, what kind of lift do you have and/or splitter with built in lift?

I'm really suprised there are not more small (20-30 ton) splitters for sale with built in lifts at a reasonable price. quote]
I agree, I think I would even like to see an aftermarket company that offered something that handled midsized rounds, say 30".
They could make the attachment easy enough to go with what comes with a typical hydraulic splitter. All I see is the ones that come with the splitter or ones that are home made like JAGS.

That unit is not as bad as many of the others, but at $2,700 it's stil way to high for a simple 24 ton unit, with the additon of maybe 2 or $300 worth of add on's max (log lift cradle, extra small piston, two extra hoses, and a dual control valve instead of a single.

Somebody like Dirty hands or Speeco should take their 20 ton unit, and simply make a bolt on add on log lift for a few hundred dollars. I'd pay 500 extra for one, that would make the Dirty Hands 22 ton unit $1,700 with the log lift ($1,200 + $500). That would be resonable, they should make a few extra bucks on it, AND, would probably sell a BUNCH of them. Now that is "marketing"! ;)

Wonder how they could do an add on unit, it would require a new set of controls and somehow hook onto the pump.

Easy if the control valve you already have has a "power beyond" port for paralleling multiple valves. You could also tee off the supply line from the pump since you would not be operating the ram and lift at the same time.

OR, by "add on" I mean add on at time of purchase. You either order it with the lift, or without the lift. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.