1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Log Splitters

Post in 'The Gear' started by WonderingWoman, Jun 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hiram Maxim

Hiram Maxim Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE Michigan
    So who has actually used the 35 Ton 12.5 HP splitter from Tractor Supply.

We had a bad storm come through Detroit and My Dad & Neighbor lost 18 huge trees between the 2 of them. Well guess who ended up with the wood?

My buddy and I figured that when its all said in done I'm looking at about 10 full cords at least. Mostly Cherry,White Oak,Locust, and some white birch.

Anyway time for a splitter!

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. cmonSTART

cmonSTART Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Antrim, NH
    Love my Timberwolf. Splits almost anything and has a great engine.
  3. N/A N/A

N/A N/A New Member

Well I just got the Speeco (tractor supply Huskee) 22 ton splitter today. So far I got into some red oak rounds about 26 or 27 inch. It was a fight and eventually the splitter won. Limited use this morning prior to having to go into work and I have to say I am a little disappointed. I will have to put this thing through some more work and I will let you guys know my full feelings on it. But at this point out of five stars I will have to rate it at about 3.75.
  4. fullbore

fullbore New Member

Loc:
    Northeast PA
    I purchased a Speeco 22 ton from TSC earlier this year. I finally changed the engine oil last week and split three cords of green hickory this weekend. I have about 16 cords threw the machine and it has worked flawlessly. I'm sure a Honda engine would have been a nice option but I could easily replace the B&S;if it fails.
  5. woodconvert

woodconvert Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Fenton Michigan
    I have one and got your PM this morning (on my work computer). I've split 7-8+ cords a year for 7 years with it and i've got no complaints. I've yet to come across a bit of wood it won't split and judging by the pics it'll chew up those little trees (at least the one's I can see). It's pretty uniqe from some of the older splitters i've run....the engine barely get's into the governer when splitting...i've still not figured that out. I don't know if that how they all are now but that's a lot easier on an engine.

So did you get it tonight??. Like I said, MAKE SURE THE FLUIDS ARE TOPPED OFF and give the critical fasteners the once over. Give some feedback as time permits.
  6. burntime

burntime New Member

Loc:
    C'mon hunting season!
    You need to work a log splitter to seat the rings. Mine actually had loose head bolts. They just don't hire quality chineses children nowadays!!! Seriously work it and when it is set change it to synthetic, mine runs like a champ!!!
  7. N/A N/A

N/A N/A New Member

What kind and size of wood splitter are you using?
  8. ROYJ24

ROYJ24 Member

Loc:
    S. JERSEY
    I can't afford 1G splitters. What can I get for around $300? Electric or manual.
  9. countrybois

countrybois Member

Loc:
    NE Illinois
    We have the 25 ton w/ 10.5 HP Briggs and I love it. As I have stated before, we've put through about 11 cords of oak, hickory, hackberry, sugar maple and other hardwoods, a lot of it in excess of 30" in diameter and it has been flawless.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.