LOGOSOL - any input from the milling crowd??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jags

Moderate Moderator
Staff member
Aug 2, 2006
Northern IL
Just received the new copy of Baileys and noticed a LOGOSOL (M7) sawmill. It is a different design than I have seen with most. I like it by design, but first and foremost don't know squat about milling. Anybody ever seen/used one of these things?? Looks like a design that I could engineer at home and get it built.

Can be seen here: http://www.logosol.us/sawmills/m7/

I am not familiar with milling but I would have to agree if you have some steel and some welding experience that doesn't look that difficult to fabricate.

Shawn

Looks interesting and appears to do a good job.

There very cool...With that said there over 2000.00 bucks just for a nice stand. They make a rip saw its like a bandsaw but portable like an alaskan. 361,441,460,660 will run it very well love to have one of those.

More up-front cost than Alaskan mill,not quite as portable with no more capacity depending on size of your saw.Plus I dont like having to lift a log that can weigh anywhere from 200 to over 2000 lbs 18 inches off the ground to mill it.Since I'm a 1-man operation with no tractor or skidsteer loader.Much easier to carry 50lb saw/mill to the log & the planks out!
I do like that winch thing to pull the saw through though.Will Malloff in his 1982 book Chainsaw Lumbermaking (long out of print & expensive to buy) built the same thing out of a boat winch,just sturdier.

Thistle said:
More up-front cost than Alaskan mill,not quite as portable with no more capacity depending on size of your saw.Plus I dont like having to lift a log that can weigh anywhere from 200 to over 2000 lbs 18 inches off the ground to mill it.Since I'm a 1-man operation with no tractor or skidsteer loader.Much easier to carry 50lb saw/mill to the log & the planks out!
I do like that winch thing to pull the saw through though.Will Malloff in his 1982 book Chainsaw Lumbermaking (long out of print & expensive to buy) built the same thing out of a boat winch,just sturdier.

the m7 is just a stand "if you will" 2699.00 and you still need a saw!

screw that lol I looked at Ripsaw Mini mill also (different company),the thing that concerns me is those narrow bands flexing & sagging in the cut on larger pieces.

smokinjay said:

Yup.For that amount you can get a 48" Alaskan mill,56" Granberg double end bar with Helper handle/roller bearing,aux oiler kit & your choice of the biggest Stihl 122cc or Husqvarna 119cc over 8HP made to power it.

Thistle said:
smokinjay said:

Yup.For that amount you can get a 48" Alaskan mill,56" Granberg double end bar with Helper handle/roller bearing,aux oiler kit & your choice of the biggest Stihl 122cc or Husqvarna 119cc over 8HP made to power it.

And 800.00 left over....lol

smokinjay said:
Thistle said:
smokinjay said:

Enough for plenty of fuel mix & groceries for a couple weeks afterwards.Depending on what the state sales tax is at your local dealer lol

Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
Thistle said:
smokinjay said:

Enough for plenty of fuel mix & groceries for a couple weeks afterwards.Depending on what the state sales tax is at your local dealer lol

oh that 800.00 does n0t include your saw lol you will need another 1800.00 for that WOW It better have self sharpening chain...

Well, I wouldn't be looking to buy. I would build it. Lifting the log is also a non-issue for me. If I were to build, I would probably also build a ramp/winch setup to pull the log into place (just an idea). I would also consider using something like a 16hp Kohler engine instead of a chain saw.

I was questioning more of the design. At this point, it is a pipe dream anyhow. I don't have enough spare time to do such a project.

Jags said:
Well, I wouldn't be looking to buy. I would build it. Lifting the log is also a non-issue for me. If I were to build, I would probably also build a ramp/winch setup to pull the log into place (just an idea). I would also consider using something like a 16hp Kohler engine instead of a chain saw.

I was questioning more of the design. At this point, it is a pipe dream anyhow. I don't have enough spare time to do such a project.

Now your talking.....I would Love to have the M7 just never be in the cards for me. Electric motor would be a nice option as well.

when you are looking at that much money a band saw would be the better option. Making it on your own is another thing, but again band saw style blade.

GolfandWoodNut said:
when you are looking at that much money a band saw would be the better option. Making it on your own is another thing, but again band saw style blade.

I'm not too sure that making a bandsaw style wouldn't be just as easy.

smokinjay said:
Jags said:

Now your talking.....I would Love to have the M7 just never be in the cards for me. Electric motor would be a nice option as well.

I'd hate to lug around (or pay for) that 1/4 mile long 10 gauge extension cord that I'd need out in the field ;-P .

Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
Jags said:

I'd hate to lug around (or pay for) that 1/4 mile long 10 gauge extension cord that I'd need out in the field ;-P .

If its going to be like an m-7 you need to bring the log to you! Nice concrete slab as well.

Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
Jags said:

For me - I wouldn't be milling in the field. It would be all home based.

smokinjay said:
Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
Jags said:

If it going to be like an m-7 you need to bring the log to you! Nice concrete slab as well.

If I had money for the M7 I'd have a small tractor or skidsteer loader w/rubber tracks & grapple claw.That would be perfect.

Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
Jags said:

If it going to be like an m-7 you need to bring the log to you! Nice concrete slab as well.

If I had money for the M7 I'd have a small tractor or skidsteer loader w/rubber tracks & grapple claw.That would be perfect.

Jags has moving equipment....I am like you no chance of getting one so I stick with the Alaskan...lol

I haven't seen that one specifically, but that is a neat example of how one could be built fairly easily. If I had the steel at my fingertips, I could probably have one of those fab'ed up in a weekend.

Jags said:
Just received the new copy of Baileys and noticed a LOGOSOL (M7) sawmill. It is a different design than I have seen with most. I like it by design, but first and foremost don't know squat about milling. Anybody ever seen/used one of these things?? Looks like a design that I could engineer at home and get it built.

They had that setup in Tupper Lake last weekend but the husky was only a 71cc saw. Before we went to the Woodsmen's Days we had breakfast at the Lumberjack Inn with the crew (3 of them from Logosol) one slept outside next to the fire all night.

Good guys, this is the second year we ran into them at breakfast. I do have a small video of them milling pine on the M7.

gibir

zapny said:
Jags said:

They had that setup in Tupper Lake last weekend but the husky was only a 71cc saw. Before we went to the Woodsmen's Days we had breakfast at the Lumberjack Inn with the crew (3 of them from Logosol) one slept outside next to the fire all night.

Good guys, this is the second year we ran into them at breakfast. I do have a small video of them milling pine on nthe M7.

gibir

That M7 is Awesome set-up.....Would not work well for me. (only want monster hardwoods) And been passing on them lately for firewood.

Jags said:

M7 in Tupper, I thought they should've had a bigger saw then the 71cc.

Status
Not open for further replies.