LOGOSOL - any input from the milling crowd??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
zapny said:
Jags said:
Just received the new copy of Baileys and noticed a LOGOSOL (M7) sawmill. It is a different design than I have seen with most. I like it by design, but first and foremost don't know squat about milling. Anybody ever seen/used one of these things?? Looks like a design that I could engineer at home and get it built.

Can be seen here: http://www.logosol.us/sawmills/m7/

M7 in Tupper, I thought they should've had a bigger saw then the 71cc.

Thats enough saw for that small square.

smokinjay said:
zapny said:
Jags said:
Just received the new copy of Baileys and noticed a LOGOSOL (M7) sawmill. It is a different design than I have seen with most. I like it by design, but first and foremost don't know squat about milling. Anybody ever seen/used one of these things?? Looks like a design that I could engineer at home and get it built.

In the catalogue & on website they show a Husky 390XP as the saw included in the upgraded package.Its basically a newer version of my 288XP,same displacement & power - 88cc,5.4 cubic inch,approx 6.5 HP.,weighs about a pound less because of more plastic parts.Just a bit more 'modern' if you will.

Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
Jags said:

In the catalogue & on website they show a Husky 390XP as the saw included in the upgraded package.Its basically a newer version of my 288XP,same displacement & power - 88cc,5.4 cubic inch,approx 6.5 HP.,weighs about a pound less because of more plastic parts.Just a bit more 'modern' if you will.

You got collage?

Dunno Jay, sounds like he was working that saw pretty hard. I could imagine a bigger CC walking through that stuff.

Jags said:
Dunno Jay, sounds like he was working that saw pretty hard. I could imagine a bigger CC walking through that stuff.

Big cc's would pick up the pace some if it was a hop up cross cut saw. I have the new version of the 880 rpm 11.5 it would be quicker but if thats the size logs I was doing all the thime that 70cc husky would be fine. Bet its new too.

smokinjay said:
Bet its new too.

Yeah, but it was probably broke in after the first log. :lol:

Jags said:
smokinjay said:
Bet its new too.

Yea, they say never to break one in like that. M7 is sweet but log size max becomes an issue quick for me. I only want the 30+ stuff anyway and it would crush that thing......

Jags said:
smokinjay said:
Bet its new too.

Ha, Ha! Chainsaw milling looks like a lot of fun, but watching it is like watching rust form. I want to eventually get me a WoodMiser, but I'm sure I can learn a lot about milling by starting with a chain mill.

H-mmm... got a nice little $1200 surprise gift from Uncle Sam I've been sitting on. Yay, we finally made a mistake in our favor. Should I put it into the truck, or buy a bigger saw? SJ, what can I do with a 7900?

Battenkiller said:
Jags said:
smokinjay said:
Bet its new too.

Ha, Ha! Chainsaw milling looks like a lot of fun, but watching it is like watching rust form. I want to eventually get me a WoodMiser, but I'm sure I can learn a lot about milling by starting with a chain mill.

H-mmm... got a nice little $1200 surprise gift from Uncle Sam I've been sitting on. Yay, we finally made a mistake in our favor. Should I put it into the truck, or buy a bigger saw? SJ, what can I do with a 7900?

I'd either buy another saw or take a mini-vacation lol

Battenkiller said:
Jags said:
smokinjay said:
Bet its new too.

And just take your time lots of idling! (This will let you do up to a 26 inch log..You dont have to run a 32 inch bar) but you could if you had to. http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=46777&catID;=

I have 3 buddies with the Alaska mills in different sizes with 440's, and 660's for power. They all say it takes forever to mill stuff. Is there something they are not doing that costs them time or is milling this way just time consuming?

RNLA said:
I have 3 buddies with the Alaska mills in different sizes with 440's, and 660's for power. They all say it takes forever to mill stuff. Is there something they are not doing that costs them time or is milling this way just time consuming?

880 :cheese: lol, just kidding. These types of mills have advantages that no other mill can do. Very portable and making your own lumbar with out heavy equipment are the big ones...There are ways to pick up the pace though. Mini mill for breaking down big cants can improve things alot.

smokinjay said:
RNLA said:

880 :cheese: lol, just kidding. These types of mills have advantages that no other mill can do. Very portable and making your own lumbar with out heavy equipment are the big ones...There are ways to pick up the pace though. Mini mill for breaking down big cants can improve things alot.

Exactly. The 440,though a great saw,is just a wee bit small to power the Alaskan Mill unless the logs are always 15" or smaller.71cc's,my Poulan 475 has 77cc & it was barely doing it on the bigger ones.Havent tried out the 288XP on the mill yet,still cleaning up deadfall & dropping a few snags before the snow flies.But it should work better on the mill,especially with that decomp button to make starting the damn thing easier.
Sure helps there,2-3 pulls cold,1 pull when hot & its a screamin' mofo :coolgrin:

Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
RNLA said:

Exactly. The 440,though a great saw,is just a wee bit small to power the Alaskan Mill unless the logs are always 15" or smaller.71cc's,my Poulan 475 has 77cc & it was barely doing it on the bigger ones.Havent tried out the 288XP on the mill yet,still cleaning up deadfall & dropping a few snags before the snow flies.But it should work better on the mill,especially with that decomp button to make starting the damn thing easier.
Sure helps there,2-3 pulls cold,1 pull when hot & its a screamin' mofo :coolgrin:

Just a labor of Love! Helps to have a hot saw... ;-)

smokinjay said:
Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
RNLA said:

Duuuude have I mentioned that I'm like a kid with a new toy & happier than a pig in mud? ;-P

Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
RNLA said:

Duuuude have I mentioned that I'm like a kid with a new toy & happier than a pig in mud? ;-P

LOL, yea a couple times..... :lol:

That M7 sure is a well engineered system. They have worked out just about every issue with it, but that come with cost, not just in dollars, but in portability and simplicity. Its hard to compare the M7 to the Alaskan Mill. While they are both chainsaw mills, the similarity stops there. The Alaskan Mill can not be beet for it's simplicity, portability, and affordability. The log stays on the ground and you can pretty much mill it right where it falls. With the support of heavy equipment and a place to work the M7 would surely out perform the Alaskan though.

So my 084 is good to go with an Alaska unit? I was worried it would be too hard on it... I want to try some milling but can not get around to it.

RNLA said:
So my 084 is good to go with an Alaska unit? I was worried it would be too hard on it... I want to try some milling but can not get around to it.

Lol, Your funny and good news for you that the 084 is highly prized in the milling world! AWESOME MILLING SAW! :cheese:

Its perfect.

Not trying to be funny, the 084 is one of the biggest saws made by STIHL but any power head needs to be prepared properly. I cross cut all the time, I never have done anything like milling. I would feel so crappy if I burned up my big boy. I have had it 15 years and not too many hours.

RNLA said:
Not trying to be funny, the 084 is one of the biggest saws made by STIHL but any power head needs to be prepared properly. I cross cut all the time, I never have done anything like milling. I would feel so crappy if I burned up my big boy. I have had it 15 years and not too many hours.

Lots of little thing you can do to run them cool. Aux-oiler, idleing through out the cut, clean air filter, sharp chains....If you do all 4 that saw will not have issues at all. 084 how many cc's is it? I thought it was a 110cc's?

Ok found it 121.6 its close to the biggest.

smokinjay said:
RNLA said:

Lots of little thing you can do to run them cool. Aux-oiler, idleing through out the cut, clean air filter, sharp chains....If you do all 4 that saw will not have issues at all. 084 how many cc's is it? I thought it was a 110cc's?

Ok found it 121.6 its close to the biggest.

Yup. The 088/MS880 replaced it pretty much. I'd still like to find a decent 090,137cc 13HP biggest & most powerful 1 man saw ever built sometime.That & the McCulloch SP125 are on my wish list.I'll get them eventually,probably by the time I can afford them I'll be retired & not strong enough to operate them for 2-3 hrs at a time. :lol: Both are bringing top dollar on eBay,still in high demand

Status
Not open for further replies.