Logs and such (with picts)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott in IN

Dec 27, 2007
Indiana
I'm not running out of wood again!

After I got tired of paying my propane bill last year, I had a Homestead installed mid winter and started looking for seasoned wood (also mid winter) to burn (with little luck). So as soon as it warmed up a bit I paid $150 a cord to get 3 cords of CSD dumped in the yard which I stacked. I also cut up a couple of more cords of my own downed stuff before the poison ivy started growing. Last week I gave a tree guy $75 to dump a big ol pile of logs in the yard that I can work on through the summer (without the fear of poison ivy).

How many cords of wood do you think the logs will turn out to be? I'm still thinking for $75 I did well as I can cut a bit each night after work without the fear of poison ivy (did I mention that I hate poison ivy)?

I know I can't burn the new stuff this year, as I'm running out of pallets is it going hurt anything to just pile splits on ground and then re stack them on the pallets next year?

Attachments

• IMG_0068.JPG
    IMG_0068.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 408
  • IMG_0065.JPG
    IMG_0065.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 389
If you were in NH, and that was hard wood, $75 would be a great deal. Since you're not in NH, and I'm not sure what the wood is, I can't really say if its a deal, but I suspect it is. The cordwood market seems to vary pretty widely across the country. I live in the middle of the woods, and cord wood is more expensive here than it is 50 miles to the South in Massachusetts, since there's wood-fired energy plants, pellet plants, lumber mills, etc. up here. Also, some places seem to only have access to soft wood. Us hard wood snobs wouldn't be much interested in a pile of pine; I use mine for outdoor fires only. But I know some folks, like Fossil, are proud softwood burners. :) Good luck with the cuttin' and splittin' though, I find it to be fun work.

Good lookin' dog too!

With fuel prices being what they are 75 for any delivered wood is a good deal imo...and if it were hardwood WOW! But yeah like Jman I'm seeing a lot of fur trees in the background.

As far as the poison ivy goes get some TecNu at the drug store and whenever you finish cutting clean up with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.