Logs Off the Ground

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Using some concrete curbs to keep the logs off the ground until processing.
Got irritated when a dirty tree dulled the saw blade.
They are set 12' apart.
The local guy has shorter logs, thinking of changing it a bit to allow for the shorter logs. Thoughts?
1664218061093.png

Reactions: FTG-05
I used some redwood logs as sleepers to get my firewood logs off the ground. I put one in the center that's low enough to drive the tractor over so short or bent logs can rest on it.

One tip would be to place the outer sleepers significantly closer together than your log length. That way less precision is needed when placing the logs. I cut my logs to 8' and put the outer sleepers just barely wide enough to fit the tractor.

I use cedar sleepers, but same idea. I put mine only 6 to 8 feet apart, the logs I'm storing are only 15 feet, and balance easily on that. As you've found, anything short or un-straight ends up on the ground between sleepers spaced 12 feet.

I use a old log ripped in half and place the halves six feet apart so short logs fit. The tractor can still fit in between them and longer logs just hang off the sides farther.

Reactions: Ashful
I got a bunch of 6x6 pressure treated ties fron the job site.. they were extras and were going to get thrown out.. I scrounge them up here and there.. I used so.e for my log length.. mine are 8ft apart that seams to be a good set up between the long and shorter logs.. I also built a stop on the back end to help with log s rolling off and now im able o stack the logs saving room

20210905_083147.jpg