logs on side of the road

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BucksCoBernie

Feeling the Heat
Oct 8, 2008
It looks like the power company cut off a section of an oak tree last week and left it on the side of the road. i knocked on the tree owner's door this afternoon but no one was home. the tree extended over the fence into the street and was close to the power lines. should i continue to knock or should i just grab it since its been lying on the side of the street for about a week now.

Power company left some trees on my property too.
I wouldn't like it if someone came and took them.

velvetfoot said:
Power company left some trees on my property too.
I wouldn't like it if someone came and took them.

it doesnt appear that the owner is a burner....i didnt see any wood piles or anything on the property. im still going to just keep knocking, i hope someone else just doesnt come along and takes it.

btw, whats up w the mets? 10 games back. my prediction from april is correct so far: philly, florida, atlanta, mets, washington...in that order. 2 more months to go!

They are jinxed this year.
Niese was having a nice outing today and injured his hamstring on a play to first, to the extent he crumpled in front of the mound when practice throwing after the play.
Sheffield also (re)pulled up lame.
With the most recent addition of Cliff Lee, it looks like you guys are built to go the distance.

It's the brush that's a pain-hard to make it look less high profile without a lot of work or a chipper. I'm mostly trying to make the road look a little nicer, but NYSEG left a mess after the last ice storm.

TMonter said:
I would still ask. Better to ask then end up in some dispute because of a chunk of wood.

Agreed . . . and even if it was there for a week I would still ask . . . the owner may have plans for it or promised it to a friend or family member and they just haven't had the time to get out and cut it up. Heck, I had a tree dropped for me and it took me a bit to get to it as the tree was dropped during a time when I was busy with other projects.

As for it not looking like the guy burns wood . . . you can't always tell . . . up until a few weeks ago you wouldn't be able to tell that I burn wood either. My SS chimney can barely be seen from the road even if you're looking for it specifically . . . my wood pile is out back . . . the woodshed I am working on is out back . . . and I have over 4 more cords of wood drying in the next town over . . . which will go into my woodshed when it is finished. Plus, even if I didn't burn wood, again, you never know if the wood hasn't been promised to someone else.

This topic reminded me, so I worked along the road last night.
Pushing a wheelbarrow with wood in it up a hill is exercise.

The wood is on somebody's property, therefore it is theirs. Do not take until you get the okay. Better to not get it at all rather than a lawsuit.

I always ask before taking any wood. I would hate to offend the wood burning gods plus the whole karma thing.

Take it after dark when nobody is looking! ;) only kidding....

Status
Not open for further replies.