Long Manufacturing wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Apiator

Aug 9, 2009
North Misissippi
Friend of mine just got a wood stove out of a house being remodeled. It cost $45 and is built by a company called Long Manufacturing N.C. Model # 1653, built in 1984....I believe. I could find very little info on the net. I looked at it yesterday and it seems to be extremely basic: no secondary burn tubes, baffles or fire brick. Basically a steel box with a damper and air intakes, and blower. I don't have a picture of it, but I'm sure some of you more experienced burners might have some info. He wants to install it in his house and will have to use the triple wall pipe up two stories as he currently has no fireplace. $$ is an option. Any info or recommedations about the stove?

Thanks,

Was the stove in operation until now? If it has been sitting a long time, and had a lot of previous use, you might want to have it checked out to determine if anything needs a rebuild - especially before investing heavy $ in the Class A. Others will have more/better advice! Good luck! Cheers!

Here's the math roughly:

Free stove (more or less)+$1500 or so for a new class A chimney
New EPA Certified stove $700 (should be able to find some overstocked for this price now) +$1500 for chimney=$2200 x.7 for the 30% federal tax rebate (if your not aware of this please search this forum for tax credit info) =$1540. Sell the old stove you have for $100 and you can pretty much use the savings on the chimney pipe via the tax credit to get yourself a new stove for free.

Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure how much it's been used...doesn't look too bad.

Pyro, Your math makes sense to me. Where can one find a $700 EPA certified wood stove? Your suggestion would be a great idea.

thanks

Apiator said:
Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure how much it's been used...doesn't look too bad.

Pyro, Your math makes sense to me. Where can one find a $700 EPA certified wood stove? Your suggestion would be a great idea.

thanks

My first step would be to contact every local Hearth shop within a 30 mile radius or so of you. Just give them a call and ask if they have any sales going on right now on their left over inventory. If you don't find anything using that method, try looking at the big box stores for close out items. As a last resort, you can look at one of the various online whorehouses, like Northern tools, etc who are constantly selling stoves at or close to the cost that a regular retailer would normally pay.

Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.