1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Long time to light

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by backpack09, Sep 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. backpack09

backpack09 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Whitman, Mass
    A friend of mine just had a Quadra Fire Classic Bay installed. And not having a pellet stove, or any other info on her install, she is of course asking me questions....

She is complaining that the firechamber fills with smoke during lighting and it takes between 10-15 minutes to light every time. Is this normal, or should she get her installer back out there?

Thanks,
    Dan

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Xena

Xena Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Shore MA
    Don't have the same stove, but mine fills with swirling smoke
    before it ignites too. I've timed it and mine takes about 5
    minutes to light up. Has she read the manual? Maybe
    it isn't taking in enought air? How does it run after it's lit?
    When I first got this stove there was a learning curve. Takes some time for sure
    to get to know the stove and how to get it running just so.
    Sometimes have to make adjustments to the air intake for
    different pellets too..
    Think I read the manual over at least 5 or 6 six times and then
    some over the course of the first month.
  3. mralias

mralias Minister of Fire

Loc:
    MA
    If it was the first burn, you would have to press the reset every 2 mins a few times to get the pellets flowing. My CB1200i fills with smoke before it ignites. The feed rate on the pellets may need to be tweaked a bit if it take 15 mins to light. Mine takes about 3 to 5 mines to light. The smoke is normal. She could also make sure the ingniter is in the right spot located near the ash pan. It is held in place with a thumb wingnut and may have loosen causing the igniter to be out of position. Good luck.
  4. imacman

imacman Guest

IMO, the installer is supposed to start the stove and show the owner how it operates, show what adjustments she can make, and answer any questions. Did this happen?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.