Look what the wood guy brought me!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

cmonSTART

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
The wood guy showed up tonight with an Ash tree to get rid of. "No problem," I said. I knew I was in trouble when he said I should come see this first. Check out those trunks on the right! They're probably 3 feet diameter and 8 feet long.

Look what the wood guy brought me!!!!

Of course, now I have to worry about how I'm going to buck and split those bad Larry's. Oh well. Free wood is free wood.

Fire up that Husky and carve the big one into a grizzly bear or a penguin or something and the little one into a hedgehog or a racoon or a rooster, set 'em out by the road and sell 'em for about $1200 each and buy yourself some firewood you can actually pick up. Rick

I cut and split logs like that all the time. Cust them into 18 inch wafers and if you can not crack them with a splitting maul then cut them with the saw and make noodles!!

burntime said:
I cut and split logs like that all the time. Cust them into 18 inch wafers and if you can not crack them with a splitting maul then cut them with the saw and make noodles!!

Ha ha, I didn't know what you meant by making noodles until I thought about the last time I ripped a log with a chainsaw. lots of noodles!

Curly Fries. Rick

Ouch, I just got a kink in my back looking at them.

The big stuff is the stuff I want. Dries slower but more dense than the rest. I am a good size guy so loading is doable...plus I stack inbetween to get a break.

You burn in a 30-NC. It'll fit.

If only I had bought the summit, that log would just fall appart for the priviledge of being burned in it!!!

Here is one! Btw, I did not load this one by hand! 16foot and 30 inch diameter.

Attachments

• Look what the wood guy brought me!!!!
    2008_BFL1.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 721
Good god man! Did you have to buck that right on the trailer? I don't like to mess with anything over 24" diameter, too much work for my taste.

burntime said:
Here is one! Btw, I did not load this one by hand! 16foot and 40 inch diameter.

I have one of those blown down right off the end of my drainfield. Downhill. And it is gonna stay there.

Really, that is some of the best firewood you will ever have. It is a tighter grain then the rest of the tree. Weight equals btus so there are a lot of them in there!

Todd said:
I don't like to mess with anything over 24" diameter, too much work for my taste.

come on where's your sense of adventure my brother and i tool down this tree in my front yard this past May. best part is it's ELM

Attachments

3.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 662
    1.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 675
heres a few more it was about 4' across and came to just about 4 cords

Attachments

2.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 635
    4.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 656
Those splits don't look near knarly or stringy enough to be elm. How did you split it so cleanly?

The big Red Oak that started my wood burning adventure was about 3.5ft diameter at the base. It was around 80-90years old and over 100ft tall when it died. It has made quite a lot of firewood, probably well over 3 cords. It was so big at the base that the tree guy sent a crew back the next day to finish cutting up the main trunk. They sectioned it into 10-12-14in discs that were just about light enough that you could roll them (barely). Branches were chipped and dumped on my property. A lot of good mulch resulted, 2 years later. Lots of rounds were left on the ground in various lengths. I had to have a friend cut up some of it later. Now I have my own saw. A heck of a lot of splitting ensued, most of it with sledges, wedges, and a maul- and now I have around 2.5 cords of it stacked. I'm still not completely done. And friends keep offering me more wood. So it's pretty much never ending processing and stacking on pallets. A wood shed is planned for late summer/fall.

Cmon, where's this wood guy coming from? I'm in Hopkinton if he's looking to get rid of wood out there!

You win!

Ash (in human dimensions) splits about as easy as any wood out there. Bang a wedge in the top at one end, then another as far back as the crack opens up, then take the first out and put it further down... walk them down and the whole thing will pop open I bet.

At least it will be exercise.

BeGreen said:
Those splits don't look near knarly or stringy enough to be elm. How did you split it so cleanly?

yea the photo of the stack doesn’t really show the work involved in splitting a lot of elm. thank god for my log splitter, I have a super split and until this tree I had never found a log that could stall the ram before, a few of these did especially where the crotches were the nice thing about the splitter I have is it has a 3/4" wedge mounted on the I beam so it cuts very cleanly. Unfortunately this also means I can't split vertical so I had to use a wedge and sledge to split the pieces down to a manageable size

how is this for knarly this tree had a 24" long bolt in side it (the photo only shows half) look at the black mark. we hit it about a dozen times with the saw . when we finely got to it i had to cut it with a reciprocating saw.

Attachments

5.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 315
johnd you have a super splitter?

That's an incredible machine...you must sell some wood to have one of them. 2 man operation, right?

Super split is a 1 man op. Unless massive cuts require another guy to help maneuver the cut up onto the splitter.
Truly the fastest & best splitter I ever used. No hydraulic can touch what a super splitter can do in splitting time.

^Right...the video that was posted here showed another guy moving wood closer to the operator just to keep up with production. I like the optional working table.

Cluttermagnet said:
The big Red Oak that started my wood burning adventure was about 3.5ft diameter at the base. It was around 80-90years old and over 100ft tall when it died. It has made quite a lot of firewood, probably well over 3 cords. It was so big at the base that the tree guy sent a crew back the next day to finish cutting up the main trunk. They sectioned it into 10-12-14in discs that were just about light enough that you could roll them (barely). Branches were chipped and dumped on my property. A lot of good mulch resulted, 2 years later. Lots of rounds were left on the ground in various lengths. I had to have a friend cut up some of it later. Now I have my own saw. A heck of a lot of splitting ensued, most of it with sledges, wedges, and a maul- and now I have around 2.5 cords of it stacked. I'm still not completely done. And friends keep offering me more wood. So it's pretty much never ending processing and stacking on pallets. A wood shed is planned for late summer/fall.

Ain't it great... the tree does its thing for 90 years, dies, and then leaves firewood and mulch. It keeps on working for ya!

Status
Not open for further replies.