Looking at used Fireview 205 (pics inside.) Advice?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Philbo

Jun 18, 2013
NC
I'm not that familiar with Woodstock or soapstone in general, aside from my internet research. We just bought a small farmhouse and are very excited about installing a suitable and competent woodstove for our space. About 1100 sq ft that is mostly one level and somewhat divided (by walls/doors.) Insulation is decent, climate is colder than anywhere else in the south (app mtns @ about 3500 ft altitude).

We found what looks to be a great, well-loved model (Woodstock Fireview) for sale somewhat locally.
Attached are the photos that are available of the stove.

What do you guys think? Any evidence of over-firing from the inside pic?

The seller has used the stove for the last 12 winters and wants to get a bigger stove at this point (which raises a slight concern of over-firing.) The door with frame has also been replaced very recently as it had warped slightly and wasn't creating a perfect seal, apparently. The cat has been replaced 3 yrs ago.

Advice would be greatly appreciated! I've used this forum quite a bit over the past year for tons of research and finally have a reason to join and engage now. Thanks!

Attachments

• 3tf3Ff3N45r55Fa5M6d6g71db453495aa1827.jpg
    3tf3Ff3N45r55Fa5M6d6g71db453495aa1827.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 446
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 319
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 329
I have an older Woodstock Classic in the lower level or our home that came with the house when we bought it ten years ago. The Classic is quite similar to the Fireview, except it is all soapstone with no glass for viewing. From my experience the stove seems like a very reliable workhorse. I haven't had to do any maintenance on it other than replace the cat this past season. I found one online for around $100 and seems to work fine. I haven't had to clean my clay tile flue where the stove is since the stove burns incredibly clean. You didn't mention the price, so it's not possible to say what sort of deal you're getting on the Fireview. As long as you don't see any serious cracks in the outer layer of soapstone I don't think you have much to worry about. The Classic has two layers of soapstone everywhere, to the best of my knowledge, so hairline cracks don't seem to be a problem. For the size of you home the Fireview should do a fine job heating it. I also live in NC about 35 miles east of Asheville, but our elevation is only 1400 ft. Good luck with the new stove if you end up buying it.

If you can, grab the serial # off the tag to the right of the flue collar on the back of the stove. The production date is there as well. Get a look at the cast iron parts at top of the firebox inside. You would most likely see any evidence of overfiring in that area. We might be able to look up the history of that stove with the serial #.

Woodstock already responded to the other person who posted about a Woodstock today. Hope they'll respond to you.
What price is the present owner asking?

I'd have some concern about previous overfiring of the stove if the door and frame warped and had to be replaced. If the current owner did overfire that stove with any regularity, it will have an impact on the life of the cast iron frame. I'd ask Woodstock if they would be hesitant about buying a stove where the door and door frame has had to be replaced. Also, if the stove has been overfired, the cat is probably in need of replacement regardless of its age. It won't withstand overfiring.

If this stove has been operated with a modicum of common sense, then it should last forever with very minimal maintenance. But that warped door bothers me....

Price makes a difference too, and how handy you are. If it is being sold at a rally good price, then if you had to you could rebuild it.Be aware that Woodstock does itself sell rebuilt Fireviews from time to time.

That stove should easily heat your home without being taxed at all. Perhaps the current owner has a bigger home, or wants a bigger viewing window or a cooktop, both of which come on the larger Progress Hybrid which Woodstock started making two years ago.

Addendum: Well, Woodstock answered before I got my response posted!

Thanks for the great responses so far.

Asking price is $1k.

I'll ask for more info on serial # and more photos of interior cast iron.

Like rideau says, the warped door/frame has me a little concerned. I may just pass because of that and keep looking. I'm in no rush and I'd have to drive about 3 hrs (1 way) to check the stove out.

Seems like this model would be a good fit for our house and we like to burn 24/7. Any other models similar in size and quality to this one?

Welcome to the forum Phil.

Indeed that could well be a great find. If possible, get more pictures including opening the top lid and taking pictures there. You can also lift out the catalyst to take a picture of that and the parts under it. If no warpage and a good price, grab it fast! If in doubt, get the pictures and the numbers and contact Woodstock. They are great with helping folks on this type of thing and if parts are needed they can be purchased at very low costs. There are reasons why Woodstock is second to none in customer service. ;)

Thanks for the great responses so far.

Asking price is $1k.

I'll ask for more info on serial # and more photos of interior cast iron.

Like rideau says, the warped door/frame has me a little concerned. I may just pass because of that and keep looking. I'm in no rush and I'd have to drive about 3 hrs (1 way) to check the stove out.

Seems like this model would be a good fit for our house and we like to burn 24/7. Any other models similar in size and quality to this one?

Strange that I just got notice of your post and it was not there when I posted. But that's okay.

My immediate response is that the price is too high; much too high.

Sounds high to me too. Woodstock sells refurbished stoves, completely disassembled everything that isn't at 100% is replaced + a new cat. You can't tell there has ever been a fire in it. Full structural warranty minus the satisfaction guarantee. I got mine delivered for ~$1800 delivered. It was truly like new. The Fireview is probably about the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.