Looking for a Englander 13-NCH - Best Price?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
fossil said:
BrotherBart said:
Hiram Maxim said:
Will the 30 just blow me out of the shop?

Not if you remove the roof of the shop. :lol:

And, after the first few break-in fires, don't use any more napalm in it. :wow: Rick

Oh you guys kill me!

Heck Hiram you know how the 30 heats. Ya have one in that nice fireplace in the house.

OK, seriously. I don't own an Englander...Mike and BB are, so far as I know, the resident experts, at least on this thread, on those particular stoves. What I can tell you is that I was shopping last year for a small woodstove for my little workshop...all 320 square feet of it, with a 10' ceiling. I picked up a little CFM (Century Hearth, a Canadian made stove, I think owned by the now-in-bankrptcy Vermont Castings, or somehow related). Anyway, this is a small EPA-rated stove that the manufacturer claimed would heat up to 2000 square feet. It was on the floor at Lowes, it was relatively cheap, so I bought it and brought it home and installed it. The nights can get plenty cold here in Central Oregon in winter...we saw some below zero temps some nights this past winter. Since my wife doesn't (yet) make me spend the night out in my shop, the shop was plenty chilly each morning when I'd light the stove. Stuffed full and burning nicely, it would take a good while to get the room up to a comfortable temperature...it really has to heat everything in there before things begin to re-radiate some nice warmth. I have a little ceiling fan that does a great service by circulating the air vertically in the room. If it's not real cold outside, and I keep the stove cranking, I can drive myself out...but the stove is an analog device, I can throttle it down...not so much fuel, dampener to decrease the combustion air flow. The manufacturers' ratings, in terms of "can heat up to XXXX square feet", I think, need to be interpreted as maybe maximum guidelines only. A stove can be operated in such a way that the stove temperature is good for the stove & stovepipe, while the room temperature is good for the room...even if the room is considerably smaller than that "rating". Hope this is useful information. Rick

BrotherBart said:
Heck Hiram you know how the 30 heats. Ya have one in that nice fireplace in the house.

You were the guy who got me convinced to go with the 30 and boy I'm glad you did.

I would like to go with the 13 but like I said before Its the same price as the 30 from overstockstove.com

Whats a guy to do?

Call overstock and see if they sell the 13-NC but just don't show it on their web site.

stoveguy2esw said:
Tfin said:
stovehugger said:
FYI I stopped into my local Lowes tonight and they had the small stove selling for 799.00. This was not the NC model but the exempt model. I thought that was a little high and it bothers me that they would promote that model to the general public instead of the 13ncl. The 13 is the non-cat model that is a better performer and I am afraid that a lot of people will be buying the 12 and not get as good of a stove. Its too bad in my opinion. my $.02

I thought the only difference between the 12 and the 13 was the sq ft heating capacity with the 12 heating up to 1000 sq ft and the 13 doing 1500 sq ft.

Other than that, they look to be similar beasts?

the difference is in the design, internally , if you look in your 13 that you have at home , there are tubes and a refractory baffle. if you look up in the 12 you see the bottom of the flue. the 12 is what we call a "freestanding fireplace" its a room heater , but not a house heater in my opinion , it does however create one of the prettiest flame patterns you will find in a woodstove. but it lacks the secondary combustion element which creates the added kick of heat , hence the lower rating with the same size firebox.

Thank you for the explaination of the difference between the two. More than pleased with my 13.

BrotherBart said:
Call overstock and see if they sell the 13-NC but just don't show it on their web site.

Here is the content of an email reply from overstockstoves...should have posted this already...

Unfortunately, the manufacturer sells them to quickly - so they never become an "overstock" item. We would love to get them because they are so popular - but I have no idea when, or even if, that will ever be.

Try Do It Best hardware stores or doitbest.com. They list the 13 for $675, I think it includes shipping.

Hello, got mine from the local Hardware store last year for alittle over $700.00 and they delivered it. It has worked out great so far and you can't beat the service. Here is a picture of it burning.
Don

Attachments

• fire1 (1152 x 864).jpg
    fire1 (1152 x 864).jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 470
CTwoodburner said:
BrotherBart said:

Here is the content of an email reply from overstockstoves...should have posted this already...

Unfortunately, the manufacturer sells them to quickly - so they never become an "overstock" item. We would love to get them because they are so popular - but I have no idea when, or even if, that will ever be.

Thanks for posting this!!!!!

blel said:
Try Do It Best hardware stores or doitbest.com. They list the 13 for $675, I think it includes shipping.

According to their web site it does include shipping to a Do It Best store near you.

Yeah, I never knew about DoItBest - good info if you want to support someone local. Or do they actually get any of the sale??

I'm sure they make something on it, just as anything they sell. It's the best price I've seen.

blel said:
If you add the promotion code "CustomerCancel" you get an extra 10% off. Quite a deal.

paid 739+40tax at HD in wallingford ct on memorial day weekend. had to speical order the stove and hold their hand through the process cause they weren't sure they could order a wood stove in the summer (dumb@$$'s)

I kick myself cause the same stove in january at anther HD was 599 had some cosmetic damage so could have easily gotton 10% off...but i didn't.

oh and that reminds me i need to call englander to get two new firebricks...the two skinny ones were cracked in half when i recieved it also gotta order up my chimney liner soon.

Stew

the 12 isn't EPA approved and is built very differently. Nowhere near as efficient either.

I was just on overstockstoves.com and they said they have no stoves in stock to sell as of right now. I guess we'll have to wait a bit for that.

Mike, you sort of make me wonder what you guys do in the Englander testing lab. My bet is sit around in recliners drinking beer by the fire. Is there a test for that?

cmonSTART said:
Mike, you sort of make me wonder what you guys do in the Englander testing lab. My bet is sit around in recliners drinking beer by the fire. Is there a test for that?

we do a lot of sitting around the stoves, drinking coffee and sitting on rolling stools not recliners.

Captain said:
blel said:
If you add the promotion code "CustomerCancel" you get an extra 10% off. Quite a deal.
How did you find out about the promotion code? Just curious

blel said:
Captain said:
blel said:
When I was on Do It Best site, went to the check out and saw a place for the promo code, so I decided to google for promo codes and found a site that lists current promotions.

Captain said:
blel said:
Captain said:
blel said:
When I was on Do It Best site, went to the check out and saw a place for the promo code, so I decided to google for promo codes and found a site that lists current promotions.
Thanks. That makes it a pretty good deal. $607, free ship, no tax unless you live in Indiana.

cruzer said:
paid 739+40tax at HD in wallingford ct on memorial day weekend. had to speical order the stove and hold their hand through the process cause they weren't sure they could order a wood stove in the summer (dumb@$$'s)

I kick myself cause the same stove in january at anther HD was 599 had some cosmetic damage so could have easily gotton 10% off...but i didn't.

oh and that reminds me i need to call englander to get two new firebricks...the two skinny ones were cracked in half when i recieved it also gotta order up my chimney liner soon.

Stew

yeah stew, just call my shop 800-245-6489 ,make sure that you have your stove's serial number and model when you call. also they will register your warranty on the spot as well if you have not sent it in , and we'll get your bricks out UPS as soon as we can box em up

Captain,

Did you end up buying a 13-NC from doitbest? I am considering this stove again. I went to the local Lowes and they had one on the floor. It is a nice, simple, well-built stove. I then went down the street to the local stove shop and compared it to a Jotul Castine and a Hearthstone Shelburne. While the 13-NC may not have as refined aesthetics, the internal design was similar and on par in construction, especially to the Shelburne, as that stove has a similar internal fire brick design. I'd imagine the 13-NC will perform as well as those stoves. Lowes had the Summers Heat 13 priced at $799 with their 'exclusive' nickel trim package. My personal opinion is that the stove looks best in flat black with all of the trim (less the handles) removed. To each his own I guess.

So from Lowes we are talking 850 out the door - and then remove the nickel trim of course. That DoitBest price is nice...

Why did I not envision purchasing this stove back when they were clearing them out for peanuts in February...

Status
Not open for further replies.