Looking for a Jotul F3CB Upgrade

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Woodsroad

Hearth Supporter
Nov 7, 2006
SE PA
www.danzphoto.net
Hello,

I've had this Jotul F3CB for about ten years now. It's a great stove and has been problem free, but I need something larger. A stove that has a longer burn time and is also side-loading is preferred. But as I look at the new stoves, they are all cats, and while I used to be quite well versed on stove tech, I find that I know nothing about what my options are. My experience with cat stoves is from the90's and it wasn't favorable. I think that, ideally, I would find a used non-cat Jotul.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

i went from jotul 3 (original non epa) to jotul f400. Just the right move for me. It doesn't need a side load as the opening is pretty wide, i feed it 18"-19" splits ideally. The Jotul 3 opening is tight and i too thought i needed side load, but turns out not needed for the f400 in my opinion.

Reactions: Woodsroad
Thank you. I've seen some F400's for sale, I'll check them out.

We also had the F3CB and then the F400. The F400 is a nice step up from the F3. The fit and finish are better on the larger stove and things like the air control are much smoother. That said, it is still an E/W loader. Are you looking only for used or also at new stoves? What are the heights at the highest and lowest points of the arch? If it will fit I would also suggest the Jotul F45 or the PE Alderlea T5.

I'm open to new as well as used stoves. The stove does not have to fit under the arch, there is sufficient room in front. Does the PE Alderlea T5 have a rear exhaust option?

I'm open to new as well as used stoves. The stove does not have to fit under the arch, there is sufficient room in front. Does the PE Alderlea T5 have a rear exhaust option?
No, that's why I asked about the height.

Is the F45 a version of the rangeley?

Looks like the F45 would be about a 30% increase in heat output. And it's not a catalytic. I'll have to check measurements!

Is the F45 a version of the rangeley?
No, that was the F50 with a bit larger firebox and top loading. They did not continue that line past 2020. The Carabanset F55 is now their only big stove.

Looks like the F45 would be about a 30% increase in heat output. And it's not a catalytic. I'll have to check measurements!
It can also load N/S which means a fuller firebox with no worry about logs rolling into the glass.

There's plenty of room for the F45
This is a cast iron/steel/firebrick stove, which I have no experience with. I'm partial to what I know, which is a cast stove. Does anyone here have this stove? How different is it to run than my current stove?

There's plenty of room for the F45
This is a cast iron/steel/firebrick stove, which I have no experience with. I'm partial to what I know, which is a cast stove. Does anyone here have this stove? How different is it to run than my current stove?
Yes, it's a cast iron jacketed steel stove. There are several recent F45 reports here. Do a search to read their impressions. Our T6 is also the same construction. It's a nice combination for durability, more even heating and good looks. I've owned several cast iron stoves and am sold on this combo.

Will do. Thank you, Begreen.

Calling Todd to the front desk for some F45 info.

Yeah an F45 would look great for that setup. It has a rear vent option as well as short leg option if needed. So far I love mine, real easy operation and control, long burn times, great even heat output and glass stays super clean.

• Love
Yeah an F45 would look great for that setup. It has a rear vent option as well as short leg option if needed. So far I love mine, real easy operation and control, long burn times, great even heat output and glass stays super clean.
Second that. The F400 isn’t available anymore (shopping used market) and the 1.7 cu ft just isn’t a big stove. Call it an 8 hour stove until it gets cold. Then 3-4. I’d make sure to rear vent. You must remove the back to get the the rear outlet off to clean it it out when you sweep if you top vent. And with it back there access won’t be easy.

Thank you, Todd! I'll go look at one next week.

Second that. The F400 isn’t available anymore (shopping used market) and the 1.7 cu ft just isn’t a big stove. Call it an 8 hour stove until it gets cold. Then 3-4. I’d make sure to rear vent. You must remove the back to get the the rear outlet off to clean it it out when you sweep if you top vent. And with it back there access won’t be easy.
I've read through the manual for the F45 and can't find the interior volume or dimensions.
Thanks for the tip about rear venting. Being able to do that is a real plus.

It has a 2.37 cu ft firebox according to the EPA spec.

It has a 2.37 cu ft firebox according to the EPA spec.
Thanks.
That's a substantial increase from the F3CB's 1.6 (and not all of that is usable space)

Thanks.
That's a substantial increase from the F3CB's 1.6 (and not all of that is usable space)
Yes, almost double the capacity. I think the F3CB's usable capacity is more like 1.3 cu ft IIRC. The F400 is about 1.7 cu ft.