Looking for a new stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbear

Jan 3, 2010
PA
I'm currently burning a Harman TL300 24/7 and it frankly isn't built like I think it should be, not to mention it barely heats my 2300 sq. ft house while burning 1.25 face cords per week of oak, hard maple and beech. Twice now it wouldn't open the back damper when lifting the lid and had to have the gears adjusted, poor design IMHO. Now today, it won't even allow the lid to open and I can't seem to find what is locked up. I have a natural gas HWBB set up now, but I want to heat with wood to save myself some money. Wood is free for me. What would you guys recommend? An indoor boiler or another wood stove? Looking to spend less than 5K, so an outdoor boiler, although probably ideal, is out of the question. What brands and models do you guys use with success?

Thanks for any help!

I think, first of all, that you should limit your choices to clean burning and efficient models. That means no indoor or outdoor boilers which are not of the high efficiency type. When you mention boiler...I assume you have hot water heat......if so, realistically you are talking a relatively expensive installation by the time you get done...probably 10K to 20K, depending on external storage, chimney, etc.

As far as stoves, if that one didn't do the job I would say you have to be quite picky on your next choice(s). This means something with relatively simple operation, large firebox and decent heat output. Blaze King comes to mind as one which fits those criteria....another one with a pretty big box is Kuma....there are a few others around.

In terms of budget, the stove will cost much less.....and if you can be satisfied with taking care of 80-90% of your heating needs....that might be the way to go. Look for either a catalytic stove with a firebox over 3 cubic feet or a non-cat over 4 - that will lead you in the right direction!

bigbear said:
I'm currently burning a Harman TL300 24/7 and it frankly isn't built like I think it should be, not to mention it barely heats my 2300 sq. ft house while burning 1.25 face cords per week of oak, hard maple and beech. Twice now it wouldn't open the back damper when lifting the lid and had to have the gears adjusted, poor design IMHO. Now today, it won't even allow the lid to open and I can't seem to find what is locked up. I have a natural gas HWBB set up now, but I want to heat with wood to save myself some money. Wood is free for me. What would you guys recommend? An indoor boiler or another wood stove? Looking to spend less than 5K, so an outdoor boiler, although probably ideal, is out of the question. What brands and models do you guys use with success?

Thanks for any help!
Harmon is generally considered a good stove brand. I see you are in Pa also, their back yard. Have you contacted your dealer about your issues yet? Maybe there is a recommendation they can offer to help you with your problem. I would start there because you have already invested in your current set up. Also you mention it doesnt really heat your space.....is it centrally located in the home? What are the stove top temps when you are running it?

Status
Not open for further replies.