Looking for a shutdown control

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

salecker

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 22, 2010
Northern Canada
Hi all
I was able to get my system built,flushed and refilled with water last spring,we used it for about a month before the weather got to warm to burn.
Anyhow i just added a grundfos alpha in my house manifold and am thinking of firing the econoburn.
I am looking for a way to shut of the power to the Econoburn after the last load of wood burns away.
I found that if the fire goes out after we go to bed the blower will run all night,eventually turning the boiler into a cooler.I think i estimated a loss of 30-40 degrees out of the system,this will probably increase as the temps drop.
I was thinking some probe in the flue measuring the flue temperature which would shut off power to the Econoburn once the temp dropped in the flue.
Anyone else have a similar system or problem?
Thanks Thomas

salecker said:
Hi all
I was able to get my system built,flushed and refilled with water last spring,we used it for about a month before the weather got to warm to burn.
Anyhow i just added a grundfos alpha in my house manifold and am thinking of firing the econoburn.
I am looking for a way to shut of the power to the Econoburn after the last load of wood burns away.
I found that if the fire goes out after we go to bed the blower will run all night,eventually turning the boiler into a cooler.I think i estimated a loss of 30-40 degrees out of the system,this will probably increase as the temps drop.
I was thinking some probe in the flue measuring the flue temperature which would shut off power to the Econoburn once the temp dropped in the flue.
Anyone else have a similar system or problem?
Thanks Thomas

A few of us have have used thermocouple controllers (google tet7100 for an example) to sense flue temperature and shut the draft fan off when the burn is winding down.

The best part is you can shut the burn down when there are plenty of coals left, so the next burn can be started by raking the charcoal a bit and then passing a propane torch over the charcoal in the vicinity of the nozzle for a few seconds and the charcoal lights back up very fast.

See the schematic here for an example of using the thermocouple controller in conjunction with a start-up mechanical timer along with a burn-cycle relay and a combustion fan relay. Also need a high-limit mechanical aquastat for better fail-safe shutdown.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/68776/

Status
Not open for further replies.