Looking for a teeney tiny pellet stove...any suggestions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dude

Jan 30, 2009
NY
I already have an old rusty crusty whitfield that is great. I would like to find a small stove for the basement.
Hoping someone can recommend one with a small footprint. tHANX

Enviro Mini is probably the smallest stove....Check out the post a few below this one

Raven20 said:
Enviro Mini is probably the smallest stove....Check out the post a few below this one

yep, tiny but expensive...

thanx for the reccomendation

expensive huh....how much new?...you know ballpark

I am looking for a used one....

2K new.....Try Craigslist....

Thelin Gnome

jtakeman said:
krooser said:
Thelin Gnome

While I was hunting for a stove. We saw a gnome. Wife liked it kind of quit. But I think is was around 2K also.

jay

My neighbor paid $800.00 for a year old Gnome at my dealer.

Wow, That's a tough on. Seems like if you need a small stove. Your kind of in the same boat as the people looking for the large stoves. Not many out there to choose from.

That Gnome price of $800.00 was a good deal!

How about the Magnum Baby Countryside???

Found a small st croix for sale...are they any good ...never heard of them
but I am new to this
The guy said he used it for four years and never cleaned it
said the exhaust blower shi* the bed finally
I am going to check it out tomorrow
But please let me know
not sure if st croix is a brand or a model
but he says it is small.....like 20 x 20 but needs repair

waikikidc said:
Found a small st croix for sale...are they any good ...never heard of them
but I am new to this
The guy said he used it for four years and never cleaned it
said the exhaust blower shi* the bed finally
I am going to check it out tomorrow
But please let me know
not sure if st croix is a brand or a model
but he says it is small.....like 20 x 20 but needs repair

ST Croix is a brand. I think they have a pretty good reputation. The problem is, it is a used stove, and it sounds like it was neglected. Buying this stove from someone who took care of it would be different in my mind. If you buy it, just be ready to spend time and money getting it in A1 condition, just in case. It is definitely an unknown.

I agree with pkitfox. Neglected stoves are a tough call. You just never know what will fail you. So if this going to be your only source of heat? I would think about that one.

Also find out what model it is and Search the forum for known issue's. Might find a few good pointers. And a couple of neat trick's.

I would also consider that a stove that is barley big enough might have issues keeping the space warm in very cold weather. You might want to consider that a bigger stove will heat a small space well and Will not struggle to keep that space warm when its really cold. It took me several years of struggling with a smaller stove to finally buy a stove that was slightly larger that what I needed to heat my house. The last cold spell put me over the edge. So far we are more comfortable with this bigger stove. The whole house just feel so much warmer than before. Plus I know that I am not over working that undersized stove to death.

Just a little FYI.

Keep us posted.
Jay

Hi and thanx for all the input
The stove is really quite dirty
In the back it looks like 2 auger motors but actually
one kind of rocks the grate below the burn pot back and forth
not sure what that is all about
couldnt find any model number but it IS about 20 x 20 x 28 tall
dirty like I have never seen , no manuals , motors all turned but veeeerrryy slow lazy motors
so , I am on the fence on this one , could be just a anchor
or a hole to put a lot of money into
I will let you know what I do

Oh and this would just be a backup stove for my basement
I have an old whitfield up stairs
Again , thanx for all the advice

waikikidc said:
Hi and thanx for all the input
The stove is really quite dirty
In the back it looks like 2 auger motors but actually
one kind of rocks the grate below the burn pot back and forth
not sure what that is all about
couldnt find any model number but it IS about 20 x 20 x 28 tall
dirty like I have never seen , no manuals , motors all turned but veeeerrryy slow lazy motors
so , I am on the fence on this one , could be just a anchor
or a hole to put a lot of money into
I will let you know what I do

Oh and this would just be a backup stove for my basement
I have an old whitfield up stairs
Again , thanx for all the advice

A St. Croix is a great stove. The versa-Grate dumps the ash from the burn pot directly into the ash pan.... you only need to clean it about once per week.

If I could get that stove shipped cheap enough I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
I bought my St. Croix Pepin used last year and it's been 100% trouble free. Paid $1050.00. You can get a manual from the manufacturer. Buy it. do a good cleaning (use a leafblower to clean out the back of the firebox), oil it up and you're pretty much set.

Or have a GOOD dealer do the maintenence on it and it should give you years of great service.

Thanx for that link
It is a Lancaster kind of
It has the Prescott type of motor driven grate
So I gues some kind of cross between the two

I am going to try to pick this stove up. The guy says make him a fair offer
What do you think it is worth?
It is a 2001 st croix lancaster that is very dirty and both blowers are barely moving air
I expect it needs a new exhaust motor at the least
the auger motor does turn though , I tested it on all 5 speeds
So , what do you think is a fair price for this?

you say you are looking for a small stove.do you mean small in size or small btu,s?remember you can run a bigger stove on lower setting.how big is your basement? i have a one month old napoleon in my basement that is 28x56 and its not big enough.dealer got me on that one. i will sell this and get a bigger one next year.

What do you consider small? An Englander 25pdvc is 23"W x 21"D x 28"H and they can be had for 50% off at most Lowes (under the Summers Heat name) these days ($600 at the sale price, $1200 regularly)

That Englander sounds like a great deal! Just a little bigger than the st croix I am looking at
I am only heating a small basement , Thats why I want a small size stove

Orange Crush CJ-7 said:
What do you consider small? An Englander 25pdvc is 23"W x 21"D x 28"H and they can be had for 50% off at most Lowes (under the Summers Heat name) these days ($600 at the sale price, $1200 regularly)

not to mention that even when clearanced out at half price they still get the full manufacturers warranty

I looked in Lowes and they dont seem to have that model number in any of their stores around here

They do have the larger units , for full price
nothing was on sale ...YET...I know they do start blowing wood and pellet stoves out the door pretty soon

waikikidc said:
I looked in Lowes and they dont seem to have that model number in any of their stores around here

They do have the larger units , for full price
nothing was on sale ...YET...I know they do start blowing wood and pellet stoves out the door pretty soon

Heres the Lowes stove info: Item #: 45894 Model: 55-SHP10L

Status
Not open for further replies.