looking for advice on installing wall pass thru in mobile home

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Megnrae

Dec 31, 2022
Deer Isle Maine
Hi everyone. looking for some guidance in my project. i am removing a pellet stove from my mobile home and installing a new mobile home approved wood stove. I am concerned about a couple of things, most importantly how to properly install and support the wall pass thru and the triple wall stove pipe on the outside of the trailer. i am assuming i need to build some kind of framework to support it? it seems like it could be heavy. I am also curious how to ground the wood stove. it is a requirement in a mobile home to drill thru the floor and run a ground wire to the metal frame of the mobile home. has anyone done this? Ive tried to find videos on you tube for both of these concerns and i haven't been able to find much information. thanks in advance!

It would be much better to run the chimney direct up through the roof, especially if this is for a modern stove. Mobile home systems tend to be on the short side and that often results in weak draft and poor stove performance. Many stoves require at least a 16'flue system which is hard to achieve in a mobile home. Some Canadian-made stoves will work with a 12-13'flue but if the flue runs through the wall it introduces two 90º turns which reduce the weakens the draft to the point where most new stoves will not perform well.

The ground wire can run from a rear heat shield screw down to the frame of the mobile.

It would be much better to run the chimney direct up through the roof, especially if this is for a modern stove. Mobile home systems tend to be on the short side and that often results in weak draft and poor stove performance. Many stoves require at least a 16'flue system which is hard to achieve in a mobile home. Some Canadian-made stoves will work with a 12-13'flue but if the flue runs through the wall it introduces two 90º turns which reduce the weakens the draft to the point where most new stoves will not perform well.

The ground wire can run from a rear heat shield screw down to the frame of the mobile.
There is already a hole thru the wall from a pellet stove so I am not going to put a new hole thru the roof I am going to work with what is already there. I know I need to go up far enough to get the correct draft. There is not another option for me

I’m assuming the hole for the pellet stove was really low. Is it high enough for the woodstove flue to hit the same penetration? It would be best to patch the hole and go vertical with the flue. I can almost guarantee you will have a smokey house with a Tee system in a mobile home. Go vertical with it.

Agreed 100%.