Looking for Insert Recommendations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

northwinds

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jul 9, 2006
south central WI
Sooner than expected, I'll be moving to another house at the end of March. The house has a prefab fireplace as shown
in the photo. I had the homeowner measure the box. The firebox opening is 21" high and 15" deep. In the front, it is 28 3/4"
wide and in the back narrows to 21" wide. There's firebrick on the three sides. I love my freestanding woodstove, but I'm
trying to make a smart decision about how to heat the new house with wood. There's about 1200 square feet on the main
floor where the prefab is and another 1100 sq feet downstairs (finished walkout basement). Recommendations?

Second, from my search of this issue in the archives, it doesn't look like I can remove the firebrick to improve my
dimensions, correct?

Attachments

• gas fireplace.jpg
    gas fireplace.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 865
Bump

Am I dinked? I've been looking at all the manufacturer's websites, and it looks like my firebox is too
small for a reasonably sized insert. Seems like I'm going to have to rip the whole thing out or put a
stove in the lower level like my present house.

North, haven't I seen that pic before?

Isn't there an old thread on this set up?

Need more input AKA Johnny 5 !!! :)

There was an old thread on this when I first put the offer on the house. During that thread, we determined that the house had a
prefab wood fireplace that was converted to gas. Now that I'm going to be in the house towards the end of this heating
season for certain, I'm suddenly a lot more nervous about my woodheating options and trying to figure out what I'm going to do.

Jtp told me that I could rip out the prefab and put in a nice efficient fireplace for 10k that would heat the upstairs only. If there
was a way for me to put a medium sized zero clearance woodburning insert on the main level for 5k, I would probably go that
route. I received the measurements today, so this thread is to rule in or out the woodburning insert.

Who's johnny 5? I do need more input, even if it's to say that my firebox is too small for a decent sized insert, which is what I suspect.

For 10k, I may be looking at the RSF Onyx or Opel with the heat dump into the lower level. Just getting a little panicky about
losing my present setup.

We installed the Regency I1200 into our existing masonry fireplace this last summer. I don't know anything about installing in prefab fireplaces, but it seems like this insert would fit the dimensions you describe. We would have liked a slightly larger capacity model (our house is relatively closed floor plan and around 1700 sqft, I1200 is rated to around 1000 sqft), but this insert was the best we could do without costly hearth remodeling. I think this model would keep your upstairs pretty toasty, but you'd have a very difficult time keeping the basement warm. If you're really looking to entirely heat your house with wood, you might need to spend the 10k. Good luck!

Go Blue! said:
We installed the Regency I1200 into our existing masonry fireplace this last summer. I don't know anything about installing in prefab fireplaces, but it seems like this insert would fit the dimensions you describe. We would have liked a slightly larger capacity model (our house is relatively closed floor plan and around 1700 sqft, I1200 is rated to around 1000 sqft), but this insert was the best we could do without costly hearth remodeling. I think this model would keep your upstairs pretty toasty, but you'd have a very difficult time keeping the basement warm. If you're really looking to entirely heat your house with wood, you might need to spend the 10k. Good luck!

Thanks, Go Blue. I was talking to the Regency dealer at the Madison WI home last weekend--before I found out how small my
firebox is. He told me that the Regency are rated to go into prefab fireplaces. It looks like I would be good for the I1200, except
that I can't tell from the specs if I would be okay in back width. It says width in front needs to be 23". In the way back, I'm 21". I can't
believe I may be going from a 3.0 firebox to a 1.4 firebox. Goodbye overnight burns. Thanks for the pointer though. I'll give the
Regency guy a call to see if it works for the back width. Maybe I'll get a pellet stove for the downstairs. Sobering thought.

North, Johnny 5
johnny5.jpg

Short circuit. Need more input.

It was a joke :)

northwinds said:
Who's johnny 5? I do need more input, even if it's to say that my firebox is too small for a decent sized insert, which is what I suspect.

That is a small opening heightwise. It will be the constraining factor with the prefab, but should be possible to get a medium-sized insert in there. No help for the basement, but it should handle the main floor.

How does the basement connect with the main floor? A large, central, open staircase might make a basement stove feasible.

BeGreen said:
northwinds said:
I do need more input, even if it's to say that my firebox is too small for a decent sized insert, which is what I suspect.

That is a small opening heightwise. It will be the constraining factor with the prefab, but should be possible to get a medium-sized insert in there. No help for the basement, but it should handle the main floor.

How does the basement connect with the main floor? A large, central, open staircase might make a basement stove feasible.

Thanks for your input, BeGreen.

If I can get a medium sized insert in there, I would probably go that route. In this house, because of a child with a disability, we will be
spending most of our time on the main floor. I'd be happy with the Summit or Pacific, but I think the hole is too small, if the measurements
need to be of the actual fireplace opening including the firebrick. The width narrows to 21" in the back. I'm looking but not finding anything
medium-sized. If I don't have to count the firebrick or I don't have to put the insert all the way to the back, my measurements get better.
Are both of these no-no's?

If I can't find anything to fit, then I'll have to go to the basement with a stove. There is a large central staircase. As you may recall,
that's the setup I have in the current house. The new house is a bit bigger, however, and not as well insulated. I'm thinking Mansfield
if I go that route. The chimney location is an issue. I'd have to box out a corner of my living room, which is not making my wife happy, but
she'll be a trooper if necessary. I said I would explore all insert options first.

Have you looked at the Napoleon 1402? We had a similar problem with a shallow fireplace. I know it is too wide in the back, but maybe with some minor/medium remodeling you could get the 24.5" wide at 14 inches deep. Height wise you are close. Firebox is like 2.25 cu ft. We have been heating a 2200 ft two story home so far this year. Good luck with your search.

I pretty much like our Quad 2700, for the size.
It's pretty flush so you might not need to extend your hearth.

One issue that I haven't seen addressed in my searches (and maybe I missed it: when measuring the fireplace
depth, can the insert stick out past the opening of the fireplace? The quad 2700 requires 17" depth from front
to rear. I've only got 15" The Napolean insert is too wide in the way back, but if it can stick out past the opening,
then the back width is more than 21" Both are nice inserts, although I like 2.25 firebox better than 1.6.

I was in a similar deal 2 years ago....short height, narrow at the back. Check out the Lope Revere, Country Flame 02 (cat stove), Country Performer & Country Striker as well. One thing you may have to deal with is getting the stove flue outlet to be somewhat in line with the current chimney. You may need to use an adjustable offset box. The Quad I2700 is angled on top to make hooking up easier.

Our 1402 is 14 inches into the fireplace and 8 inches onto the hearth. We thought about the Avalon Ranier which is only like 10 inches into the fire box and about that on the hearth, like a semi-sert.

northwinds said:
There was an old thread on this when I first put the offer on the house. During that thread, we determined that the house had a
prefab wood fireplace that was converted to gas. Now that I'm going to be in the house towards the end of this heating
season for certain, I'm suddenly a lot more nervous about my woodheating options and trying to figure out what I'm going to do.

Jtp told me that I could rip out the prefab and put in a nice efficient fireplace for 10k that would heat the upstairs only. If there
was a way for me to put a medium sized zero clearance woodburning insert on the main level for 5k, I would probably go that
route. I received the measurements today, so this thread is to rule in or out the woodburning insert.

For 10k, I may be looking at the RSF Onyx or Opel with the heat dump into the lower level. Just getting a little panicky about
losing my present setup.

i think that was my thread.
i have a enviro venice 1700. and LOVE IT!

i have a 3000 SQ foot house and it keeps the temps above 64 when it is below zero outside. when it is 20-40 out i can kep the temps at 68-75 in the house.

You may want to look at the Blazeking Pirincess insert. I am using one and it heat the 1,250 house's main floor with no problems. I am also by Minnneapolis, so its kinda the same kind of weather like you have. The Insert at cat stove and is big at a 2.8 firebox.

bruns333 said:
Our 1402 is 14 inches into the fireplace and 8 inches onto the hearth. We thought about the Avalon Ranier which is only like 10 inches into the fire box and about that on the hearth, like a semi-sert.

I like the 1402 a lot, but it's an inch too high and it's square so I'm too narrow at the back. I don't think I can't remodel
the prefab firebox to make it fit. Continuing to research the suggestions.

Lanning said:
You may want to look at the Blazeking Pirincess insert. I am using one and it heat the 1,250 house's main floor with no problems. I am also by Minnneapolis, so its kinda the same kind of weather like you have. The Insert at cat stove and is big at a 2.8 firebox.

You got me all excited for a minute. That stove would give me easy overnight burns. Depth is good at 13", but too high (23") and
too wide (25"). This feels like a jigsaw puzzle.

gasavage said:
I was in a similar deal 2 years ago....short height, narrow at the back. Check out the Lope Revere, Country Flame 02 (cat stove), Country Performer & Country Striker as well. One thing you may have to deal with is getting the stove flue outlet to be somewhat in line with the current chimney. You may need to use an adjustable offset box. The Quad I2700 is angled on top to make hooking up easier.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I think you hit on at least one that will work. Continuing to research, but the Lopi
Revere needs 13 1/8" with an inch of rear clearance for zc (depth), 19 3/4" high, and 21 3/8 wide. I think with that 1 7/8"
depth room in the back, I think I can gain that 3/8" needed for the width in back. I can live with a 2.2 firebox.

Edit: Not there yet. Talked to the Lopi Dealer, and he said that the Revere doesn't come with the 45 degree offset box.
The Avalon Ranier does, but it is too wide in the back. He didn't have any other models that would work. Jigsaw puzzle continues.

None of the PE inserts will fit, even the Vista. Your fireplace is not wide enough at the back.

Have you looked in the manual for the existing ZC/Prefab to see if it even allows an insert in it. Most of them specifically say that you cannot and it will void any safety ratings...etc..
Alot of places love to tell you it's fine to put an insert in any ZC, but that's simply not true.

I'd go the tearout route if I were you, or line the chimney (if that's possible, you need to know what kind of chimney it is and what the new liner requires) and put a stove out in front of it. I did the tearout route, it's work, but not that bad.

73blazer said:
Have you looked in the manual for the existing ZC/Prefab to see if it even allows an insert in it. Most of them specifically say that you cannot and it will void any safety ratings...etc..
Alot of places love to tell you it's fine to put an insert in any ZC, but that's simply not true.

I'd go the tearout route if I were you, or line the chimney (if that's possible, you need to know what kind of chimney it is and what the new liner requires) and put a stove out in front of it. I did the tearout route, it's work, but not that bad.

This is not my house yet. We close on 3/18. I don't have the manual. I understand all of the things you are saying. It's important
to my wife that I have the wood heating issues taken care of before we actually move in, so that any tear out or construction issues
happen before she lives in the house. There's a bunch of other things going on too during that first month, including wheelchair
ramping, replacement flooring, accessible shower, etc. I could wait until I'm in the house to ask for advice, but I'd like to narrow
things down and know my issues ahead of time. I appreciate the suggestions being offered.

This is my good faith effort to "keep the woman happy" by exploring whether an insert is doable. If I can't find a medium
sized wood-burning insert that can be safely installed, then I go to plan B, which will be either a tear-out or a large
woodburning stove in the lower level.

Status
Not open for further replies.