Looking for Insert Recommendations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If there's a way you can find out the make and model of the ZC that's in there now (usally aplate on it somewhere, usally in the firebox up high close to front) you can find the manual oneline, that way you'll have the firebox dimensions, what type of chimney the zc enclosure dimensions so you know what kind of space is behind there if you think you might want to tearout...etc

Have you checked out the Enerzone Solution 2.0. Exterior dimensions 26.25Wx21.25Dx21.25H. Minimum hearth dimensions 28.5Wx10Dx23.75H. It looks like it can be installed with as little as 10" inside the fireplace. Firebox is 2.0 cu.ft., max log length 20". I am considering one. There doesn't seem to be much mention of it in this forum though. Good price $2400 installed here.

73blazer said:
If there's a way you can find out the make and model of the ZC that's in there now (usally aplate on it somewhere, usally in the firebox up high close to front) you can find the manual oneline, that way you'll have the firebox dimensions, what type of chimney the zc enclosure dimensions so you know what kind of space is behind there if you think you might want to tearout...etc

I did find out the make and model of my prefab fireplace. It's a Martin Model LF36HA. I just read that Martin went out of business about
8 years ago. It looks deeper than what the owner told me--more like 18" than 15". There's a shelf in the front that gives it the short
height dimension. I'm wondering if the shelf is allowed to be moved. Here's a few more photos.

Attachments

• shelf.jpg
    shelf.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 275
  • prefab.jpg
    prefab.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 278
  • prefab2.jpg
    prefab2.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 245
  • damper.jpg
    damper.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 259
I can only recommend the Avalon Pentelton insert w/fan for ZC inserts... cost with flue liner and install for me was 3200 with the tax rebate of course. It has a small box but heats more then what I thought it would or need. There were other inserts for ZC fireplaces with medium boxes just depends on your measurement .Good luck with your new house and decisions.
md

Rip that thing out of there and do it right. You are gonna be there for a long time.

There are several things you can remove. Here's an excerpt from the Revere manual. There's an actual pic in the manual.

Zero-Clearance (Metal) Fireplace Requirements
• Must utilize a positive (full reline) or direct connection (block-off plate)
• Must be manufactured by one of the following manufacturers:
• Marco • Majestic • Heatilator • Preway • Tempco • Superior
• Heat N Glo • Lennox • Martin • Monesson
• Entire fireplace, including chimney, must be clean and undamaged. Any damage must be repaired prior to
installation of the insert
• Entire fireplace, including chimney, must meet local building requirements
• Chimney height: 15' minimum; 33' maximum.
Minimum cross section: 28.65 square inches
• The damper ("A") and grate ("B") must be removed
(see Figure 4). The smoke shelf ("C"), internal
baffles ("D"), screen ("E"), and metal or glass doors
("F") may be removed (if applicable). The masonry
lining ("G"), insulation ("H"), and any structured rigid
frame members (metal sides, floor, door frame, face
of the fireplace, etc. – "I") may not be removed or
altered
Having been down this road as well, I concur with BB...rip that POS out

I'm going to spend some time thinking about the best thing to do with the space where the prefab is at.

The number one option at this point is to move the Isle Royale and chimney to the walkout basement of
the new place. Member jtp will be helping me find out whether it's economically viable at a preview towards
the end of this month.

Completed the closing earlier this morning. The previous owner will continue to occupy for another week
until he closes on a farm in western Wisconsin. I'll start moving firewood to the new place today. Still
have to sell the old place. Starting to move 12 cords of wood will keep my mind occupied.

I would agree with BB. Rather than shoehorning (if possible or allowable) an undersized insert into a prefab, move in, and consider removing the worthless prefab.

There have been a couple of good posts with great pictures and results with this route. We shoehorned a gas insert into a larger prefab, and now after learning a bit more, would go the remove and reinstall route.

If the chase outside/behind the prefab is not masonry, i think that makes this one a no brainer for removing the existing prefab.

Regarding the Quad and clearances, i believe the clearance in question would be the front of the Quad to the edge of the hearth, which looks like it would be short to me...

Status
Not open for further replies.