Looking for large steel stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skitheeast

Sep 25, 2012
Hi,
I'm looking to put in a larger steel stove to help heat the house from the basement. Two part question... We currently have a wood burning insert, (Hampton H-300), in the living area but find that it just doesn't get the whole house to where we'd like it. It does a pretty good job of warming the room its in as well as the kitchen and part of hall, but not other end of house. We have an open floor plan 1800 sq ft house, (9 ft ceilings), with no upstairs. Like a ranch, longer hall and three bedrooms at end of house. The idea is to get a bigger steel stove for the basement, pull the insulation down from the end of the house where the bedrooms are and let it radiate up. I have searched the Englander NC30, Kuma Sequia, and the regency 5100. Can anyone suggest any others that would be good candidates?
Also, If stove has an 8" outlet, could I go directly to my masonry flue which is an 8x12, (outside diameter), clay flue? I looked it up, and it appears to be equal to a 9" - 9.25" inside diameter. Any input would be appreciated.

I would always line the chimney. Better draft. The nc30 is a great stove. Great heater and great price. Buck also has some large stoves. Are you looking for non catalatic?

This is typical in a ranch-like floorplan. Here is an experiment to try: For more even heat in the house put a table or box fan at the far end of the hallway, placed on the floor, pointing toward the woodstove. Run it on low speed. It will blow the cooler air down low, toward the woodstove. The denser cool air will be replaced with lighter warm air from the stove room. Running this way you should notice at least a 5F increase in the hallway temp after about 30 minutes running.

For a second stove the 30NC offers great value.

Reactions: Christopix
I'd look at the Pacific Energy Summit.

Yes, looking for non cat. Also, budgetary constraints as well. Thinking I may line the chimney now, and pick up a stove in the off season when things are on sale. Been checking home depot for a while, and haven't seen the NC 30 on sale ever. Doies anyone know if / when it will go on sale?

I am not sure they ever went on sale last year at HD? At least not to the degree they did in prior years that barely saw freezing temperatures leaving big, heavy floor stock that needed to be moved to make room for lawn mowers.

My best guess is that this winter is not going to give up any super deals from HD on wood stoves either - but who knows. Just keep an eye on them and even at full retail around $1200.00 it is still a great value.

Status
Not open for further replies.