1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Looking for New-er Wood Vehicle

Post in 'The Gear' started by katwillny, Apr 17, 2013.

1. katwillny

katwillny Guest

About a year ago I purchased a 92 Sierra and it has served me very nicely. I have used this thing more than I could have imagined. I am however looking to replace it for something different. About 10 years ago I owned a Land Rover Discovery and i am thinking that this vehicle may serve me as a wood transport vehicle.
    For the price i think something like this may do the trick after I remove the rear seats.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/cto/3730420045.html

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    You might want to check on the load capacity of the Land Rover. I suspect that they might not be sprung very heavy.
  3. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    Pickup truck all the way. I wouldn't want to crawl in/out to load/unload wood. If you are stuck on a Rover, get a trailer too.
    MasterMech and mikefrommaine like this.
  4. katwillny

katwillny Guest

Good point on the loading and unloading. I guess im still in love with that truck so I was trying to justify a purchase around firewood. lol.
  5. rdust

rdust Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    I agree with Lukem, pick up all the way. I own a trailer and I'll still always use a pick up for this stuff. I was looking for more room for my family and almost bought a Tahoe thinking my trailer would still allow me to haul wood, well I quickly realized I just needed a Crew Cab pick up. Problem solved, more room for the family and I still have a bed to load with anything I want. :)
  6. swagler85

swagler85 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    Truck also keeps the dirt and ants out of the back seat
  7. katwillny

katwillny Guest

yea, i agree, but i woudnt really care much about the dirt or ants. lol.
  8. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Seems like a decent truck for the price. But so many more advantages to a bed. Unless your gonna get a trailer. But as stated above, the tongue weight/ towing capacity, it could handle, would likely be pretty low?

I have an 02 F-150 FX4 that Has proved to be invaluable. Had it over 10 yrs now. Still love that truck. I use it and a trailer in tandem to haul wood :)

If you look close...... You can see the tongue of the trailer is bent :( I don't recommend overloading.... But I have been known to do so on occasion. ;)
    image.jpg
  9. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

You might fit in better over there in Beacon with the Rover ;) but these guys are right, pickup truck is the best wood-hauler. I would think cost of ownership would be lower with the truck too. ;)

Are you looking to keep this just a wood hauler or looking to do double duty as a family/grocery hauler as well. Will you use it for daily driving to/from work?

I'd recommend taking a newer truck for a test drive. They have come a LONG ways since that '92 Sierra. Try something GM '03+, Ford '04+, Dodge '04+. Imagine something with the utility of your Sierra and the comfort of the Rover and such a vehicle certainly exists.
  10. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Another vote for a pick-up . . . I had a SUV with a trailer for many years . . . I wouldn't go back.
  11. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
  12. katwillny

katwillny Guest

Thank Dave, Great info.