looking for some advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JKeller

Feb 10, 2015
Illinois
Hello,

I just found this forum and have been spending some time trying to get educated. I thought I would post what I am looking for and maybe you folks could point me in a direction.

I am currently building a new home here in northern IL. We are planning a fireplace more for decorative purposes though I plan on using one that I can hook up to the return duct of the furnace to distribute the heat around the home when its being used.

I have been looking at the hearthroom or unity series from Accucraft. http://www.acucraft.com/ I cant seem to find a whole lot of info on them though they seem to be a quality piece.

Anyone have experience with them or have any other suggestions on who I should look at? Our main goal is a attractive unit of high quality that will last a long time. It won't be used daily but fairly often during the winter months and not as the main heat source.

Thanks,
Jim.

they seem to claim alot of heating surface for a fireplace.nice looking though make sure you get info on them before you buy. have you looked at the different inserts available some really nice ones that can heat really well

I plan on using one that I can hook up to the return duct of the furnace to distribute the heat around the home when its being used.
I think that is illegal if it is wood burning.

Looks like a fairly ordinary fireplace. If one goal is to get real heat out of this unit, have you looked at EPA fireplaces in comparison? They will burn cleaner and provide a lot more heat for the amount of fuel burned. That will save wood, but still provide a beautiful fire view. Take a look at the BIS Traditions, Kozy Z42 and Pacific Energy FP30 for comparison. These units are available with a blower system that can be ducted to distribute the heat.

I will check into those. I really want to find something else for comparisons' sake. I will clarify saying heating is a fairly low priority mainly due to the fact it wont be used consistently. Its more the idea that if I'm gonna have a fire it may as well be helping instead of hurting.

One thing I really like about the Accucraft unity series is the clean look without any vents on the face. I have a PDF brochure with much more info on it than their website has but I have no idea how to post it. If weight is any indicator, the 44" model weighs 1,100 pounds!

The unit prices out a $3950, but all the venting/fire stop/cap/etc doubles that. Is that normal? They list 14" class A insulated flue in stainless steel. Its gotta go about 28'

Thanks for the input,
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.