Looking for some insight on installing new insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ChrisCT

Oct 23, 2018
SE Connecticut
Hey everyone. So I think I'm going to move forward with installing a wood insert into my fireplace to try and get some useful heat out if it . I've been looking at the Osburn 2000 and the Englander 13NCI to name a couple. I've attached pictures of what I have to work with, but I keep running in to clearance issues with the hearth depth/height. Being pretty much flush with the wood floor I need a much longer hearth or I would need to build it up (not an option really). Just trying to see if anyone with similar specs had some successful installs or some insight on what inserts would work well. House was built mid 90's with recent updated windows. Insert would be used as supplemental heat as I have an oil furnace with baseboard heat right now. Just looking for something with a nice look and viewing window, but not trying to break the bank either. Thanks in advance!

20181028_113445.jpg 20181028_111622.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll give no advice on insert as I am currently doing research myself....

But, I want to thank you for a very competent drawing with all the measurements needed!!

It usually takes new people 3 or 4 posts til we can PULL (like teeth) the appropriate info out of them.

If the front only needs ember protection you could cover the whole current brick on the floor and extend it out the appropriate amount with a large piece or two of 3/4-1” thick bluestone. It will be raised up off the floor and not recessed like the current brick but you can use some 1/4 round trim stained to match the floor around it. I’m guessing you only need 16” in front of the door so you wouldn’t need huge pieces if you do it as two pieces.

How deep is the fireplace? If it's deeper than 18" and you are on a budget, consider the Century 2900 insert too. It's made by SBI and a value version of the Osburn like Drolet. Another choice is the True North TN20 insert.

I entered Stonington, CT for Lopi dealers: Haddam and Danielson, CT and Wakefield, RI.

BTW, My wife and I went to Mystic Seaport every weekend last summer to give tours on the recreation Viking ship. Really fun summer!

https://www.drakenhh.com/

Last edited:
That's a very cool way to spend a summer PaulO.

How deep is the fireplace? If it's deeper than 18" and you are on a budget, consider the Century 2900 insert too. It's made by SBI and a value version of the Osburn like Drolet. Another choice is the True North TN20 insert.

Yeah I considered those stoves, unfortunately with the level hearth/floor I would have to extend it out anywhere between 3-7 inches which I really dont want to do. I may be stuck going with a smaller unit.

I actually wanted smaller, and my situation is like yours: looking for supplemental heat and getting useful heat out of the fireplace.

I was able to bring the unit home myself (jack lift used at shop to get it to the height of the tailgate, and they helped put it in) and get out of my vehicle (Ford Escape) and into the garage myself since it is a smaller unit. Slid it down two long boards onto a tarp and dragged it into the garage. :)

I removed the door and bricks and bought a hand truck at Lowe's. I was able to get it in by the fireplace. Only help was (1) my wife helping getting it in up the front steps to the front door, and (2) a friend helping getting it down three steps to the den. My chimney guy then just attached it to the new 6" liner he dropped down.

I just started splitting the wood from the two trees my next-door neighbor had taken down. The tree guy cut it to a little smaller lengths, 14" - 16", on request. It's disproportionately easier to split the wood cut to just a little smaller length than 16" - 18". Really weird how easy it is compared to just a couple of inches longer.

PaulO that is a nice little stove. I guess my question to the forum is when stoves/inserts are specifying an R value for the front clearance/min hearth requirements, is the basis on the amount of heat coming from the blower/insert or for ember protection. I can understand embers rolling out of the front when loading etc., but do some of these inserts need that much insulation in front to not catch the flooring on fire?

I felt the floor in front of the Answer last night, and it was fine. Page 20 of the owner's manual PDF above gives thickness required: "Must be non-combustible and at least .018" thick (26 gauge)."

There sure are a lot of measurements to check. :)

My wife wants us to retire to SE CT. I do, too. I grew up in Huntington, part of Shelton.

begreen … The Draken looked for volunteers for giving tours when it was docked at Mystic for 2017, and for sailing during Expedition America 2018 along the east coast. People came from across America to volunteer on it, both docked at Mystic and the sailing. I expect they'll be looking for 2019 volunteers.

Here's the Draken fans FB page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/277020215675452/.