Looking for someone to be a guinea pig...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrownianHeatingTech

Minister of Fire
I'm working on integrating a waste-oil (vegetable or petroleum) burner with a Tarm Excel multi-fuel gasification boiler. I'm looking for someone who has and Excel, or would like to have one installed, and doesn't mind being a guinea pig for testing the setup.

I'm not supplying fuel, so you would need to have your own source of waste oil. We need to already have, or to install, a stainless chimney. The system will include a thermal storage tank.

You need to be relatively close to southern NH, as I will need to be able to access the boiler periodically over the heating season to check operation. Within NH is preferred.

Having gas (propane or natural) on-site is preferred, but not required (it would allow us to test tri-fuel operation - wood-oil-gas).

Joe

If I remember correctly its against EPA regs to burn waste petroleum oil for home use. There are a few industrial units that comply with air emission's. I don't know if they've caught on to burning veggie oil yet.

Greg H

Greg H said:
If I remember correctly its against EPA regs to burn waste petroleum oil for home use. There are a few industrial units that comply with air emission's. I don't know if they've caught on to burning veggie oil yet.

The EPA regs relate to the source of the oil. Even in a business, you are generally not allowed to burn waste petroleum oil which you did not generate on-site, unless it came from private "donation." In other words, if you have an auto repair place, you can accept John Doe's bucket of oil from when he did his own oil change, but you cannot accept oil from a neighboring auto shop.

If you have an auto shop (or any other business producing waste petroleum oil) with an attached house or apartment, burning waste petroleum for home heat would not be an issue.

In any case, this technology is applicable to businesses, as well, not just homes.

And veggie oil is still acceptable for home use.

Joe

Joe

I have a brother in law who uses a German waste oil furnace to burn used cooking oil. He has had various troubles getting the cooking oil to burn properly, but has no trouble with waste oil. I can get more specifics for you if it would help. I could even see if he would be willing to talk to you if you would like. Let me know.

i have a waste oil burner in my shop that is kind of homemade and was looking into maybe making it a waste oil boiler. i have access to a boiler that burns wood/oil now that i can get for free .what are you looking to test? im in central NH

WoodNotOil said:
I have a brother in law who uses a German waste oil furnace to burn used cooking oil. He has had various troubles getting the cooking oil to burn properly, but has no trouble with waste oil. I can get more specifics for you if it would help. I could even see if he would be willing to talk to you if you would like. Let me know.

I'd be happy to chat with him, on phone or email (accessible through my website).

Maybe we can sort out why he's having trouble with waste cooking oil, too.

Thanks,
Joe

2.beans said:
i have a waste oil burner in my shop that is kind of homemade and was looking into maybe making it a waste oil boiler. i have access to a boiler that burns wood/oil now that i can get for free .what are you looking to test? im in central NH

Well, I'm looking to test a specific boiler/burner combination, so that's not really applicable, but I'd be happy to discuss the options for what you're looking to do, separately. Drop me an email or call me.

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.