Looking into Osburn inserts...need opinions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think every time someone fires up a new stove, everyone else on the forum feels a tiny bit warmer. Vicarious heat ;lol...

Hope you guys stay toasty warm this winter...

Reactions: imalovesmax
I won't bore you all with our old drafty house and why in the world we might need outdoor air combustion. Looks like some lively forum discussions already on this topic.

The inspector needs to get the code book out and reread. Sigh. No fire making this weekend. :(

OAK is required? begreen is in your neck of the woods and I bet will chime in here soon. If it is code, I'm surprised the installer didn't advise you on this. If not, and / or your inspector isn't sure, he's not instilling a ton of confidence. Hope this resolves soon...:(

People are very mellow about things here so I am sure we can work something out. The inspector did not seem too concerned and he spoke with the installer on the phone. The funny thing Bag of H is that you good people in Canada (home of Osburn) have a section in the Matrix manual about why outdoor combustion is no longer required in Canada and mentions the science behind that decision. Here are 2 quick pictures of my cold and lonely matrix. I am not going to share this bit of news with my husband until I know something! I am neither angry nor upset, it will all work out even if we are a little bit poorer by the time we get to make our first fire!

matrix2.jpg matrix1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: dafattkidd
thats a great looking insert in a great looking fireplace.

There's sure a lot of discussion around OAK here and elsewhere. Your install looks great. I think you'll be really happy with an SBI product.

Great looking insert and fireplace! May it be a blessing to you and your family for a long time.

Nice looking set-up....Y'all are going to love it....;)

We are now the proud owners (in our 1928 drafty house) of a barometric damper. Please cross your fingers and say a few prayers that our permit finally gets approved tomorrow! I won't get into the conversations with the permit inspectors, installer, etc..because, well, they might come here to read up (or not!). Nothing quite like sitting in your cold living room looking at thousands of dollars worth of empty insert! Let the burning begin!

Status
Not open for further replies.