1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Loose chain

Post in 'The Gear' started by PapaDave, Oct 8, 2012.

1. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana

I only have one computer with spell check! ;) Your sprocket not the issue your having! (Its an issue just not this one)
    PapaDave likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    Well, well, well.
    I completely forgot that I had bought a bar/chain combo from Bailey's sometime in the past (probably about 3 years ago). I wanted to try getting a bit more perceived power from the saw, so I got an 18" thin-kerf .325 setup. Problem was that I didn't know I needed to change the sprocket. It didn't work.
    Fast forward to last night while pondering the meaning of all this, and my feeble brain cells started working for a minute and I remembered that bar/chain combo.
    Dropped the wife off at work (in town...less than a mile from here) and went to the hardware (maybe a mile from here). They not only had rim sprockets, they had a 3/8 and a .325 for only a buck more than Bailey's. I bought both.
    The .325 setup is now on the saw and works great. Now, if only the rain would stop, I could go out and have some fun.
    Oh, and it looks like the new-er chain DID stretch. Here's a pic of the original (Husqvarna) chain (L/H) and the new-er one. I might take it to the hardware and have them pull a drive link.
    Any thoughts? 1010121340.jpg Both chains have 72 d/l, and are perfectly lined up at the other end. The difference is about 3/8".
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  3. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana

You should have enough adjustment. If its strecth that you cant adjust it any more, get rid of it. Nothing like a chain breaking to wake you up!
  4. PapaDave

Loc:
    Thanks SJ.
    I'm going to try it with the rim and if still the same, it's in the trash. Might go in the trash anyway. I can get a new chain for $15 at the hardware.
    I don't need to go to the ER again.:mad:
    smokinj likes this.
  5. hilbiliarkiboi

hilbiliarkiboi Member

Loc:
    HotSprings NatlPark
    Agin? Ples delaverate.
  6. PapaDave

Loc:
    Broke a forearm about 3 1/2 years ago.
  7. PapaDave

Loc:
    On a lighter note....
    HOLY fast cutting chainsaw! With the new setup on the saw, I couldn't stand not going out to cut, so I went out to work on the remains of a Maple back in the woods.
    Got sidetracked when I remembered the Oak, and went that way instead. :p
    Trimmed a few branches and went to work on the trunk. This tree is only about 12-13". It's like a new saw. Got almost 1/2 done before realizing I was soaked, so I walked back to the shed and put the saw away.
    Methinks I like my new/old saw.:cool: Color me a happy camper with a slightly lighter wallet.:cool: >>
  8. amateur cutter

amateur cutter Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Michigan
    Way to go Dave! Glad you got it fixed. A C
  9. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    OK Dave
    I got lost with what you did to fix the problem.
    Did you put on an new 18" bar. .325 pitch & a new rim .325 pitch , .050 gauge & a new chisel 18" (72 drive link )chain?

You saw with an 18" bar has lots of options. bar, rim(sprocket) & chain have to all match.

Are you sure, the almost new chain that is stretched is .325 pitch & not .375 (3/8) pitch? That would make it a tad longer. & it'd chew up the sprocket.

Thought you had a 20" bar 3/8" (.375) pitch . .050 gauge , 72 drive links?

Either way , glad yo got it all figured out.
    Now you are one step closer to becoming a " chain saw guru" :)
  10. PapaDave

Loc:
    Sorry if I wandered into confusion land Dave.
    I had a bar/chain combo (thin kerf, .325 pitch, 18") I got from Bailey's a few years ago. I bought a new rim drum and sprocket to fit that, and also another sprocket for the 20", 3/8", .050 g bar/chain combo.
    The stretched chain is 20", 72 d/l, 3/8"-.375". The original Husky chain is also 20", 72 d/l, 3/8"-.375". Those were the ones in the comparison photo.
    The new 18" setup is a bit lighter with the Rancher (heavy body), so that helps too.
    I now need a file for the thin kerf chain.:rolleyes:
  11. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    I confuse easy :) Got-cha.

My chains don't last as long as yours. I think cutting & dragging the logs makes them dirty & dulls the chain.
    Trying a Stihl chain now, but it's filled down to short teeth now, about 8 cords cut with it. Fast cutting round chisel chain 33 RS3 72.
    Dry weather today, I may get some cutting in too.

Very good thread. I learned allot. Reminds us all to inspect & maintain our tools. That way they work better when needed.
    FYI; Husqy chain is made by Oregon, Oregon is sometimes a few bucks cheaper ;)
  12. PapaDave

Loc:
    Pretty sure the chain roll at the hardware was Oregon.
    The bar/chain should have been changed out last year, I just didn't do it.>>
    Got to say thanks Dave, for the suggestion to go to the rim setup. I thought about it last year, but couldn't get good info on the difference. Should have come here. DOH!
    Now that I know....and how easy it is to change, I'm never going back. ;)
    Oh, and confusion land is where I live.;lol
  13. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI
    On another note, not all bars are created equally. The book says my Dolmar with a 28" bar should have 93 drive links. The Windsor bar I bought is stamped 92. The 93 dl chains worked until they stretched too much, so I had a link taken out. I think it would work with 91.
  14. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

I do it to any saw that needs a sprocket, even my BIL's MS250. I'd do it to a 30cc saw given half an' excuse to do so. ;)
  15. PapaDave

Loc:
    MM, it was so easy, even I did it.:cool: