Lopi 1250 Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Wood

Hearth Supporter
Feb 17, 2009
Texas
Hi all. Long time reader - first time poster. I was wondering what the general opinion would be of a Lopi 1250. I have an employee for whom I would like to accomodate his request for that model. House is about 1100 sq ft and average insulation. Keep in mind a southern climate that may get to 20 on rare occasion but warms rather quickly. Not the sole source of heat but if installed, it would certainly save on the propane use. He helps cut and split my firewood and would have access to all he needs out on the ranch. For that reason feeding the stove is not an issue.

This model is his request so if it has a decent reputation and is user friendly, I plan to get one for him.

Thanks in advance for the input.

kenny chaos said:
Small stove, top of the line quality.
Need any more ranch help?

I was just figuring someone on this forum had experience with that model. The house he lives in was built about 10 years ago and at that time we made provisions for a stove. Seems the time has come to put one in. I just don't want to buy something that will be a disappointment.

He is my foreman, you would need to ask him about work!!

Thanks

It's the little brother of my stove, which I find to be well built, reliable, and easy to use. For what it's worth.

We have the 1750 and are very pleased with it. We are in Western NY and it has been quite cold here this year. this is our first year burning wood. We have a 2 story house, about 2000 sq ft, with a basement. Our first floor is probably around 1200 sq ft. We are able to totally heat the first floor with the stove, without the furnace kicking on, if the temperature does not dip below about 32. This is with the stove room going up to about 75, and the farthest room (the kitchen) being about 62. We are happy with this, so don't go to extremes moving the air around. We have ceiling fans in the stove room (col air naturally moves into there as it is 2 ateps down from the rest of the house) and one in the kitchen, sometimes use a small fan in the doorway. Hope this helps.

I have the Lopi Answer - same as the 1250 but available in more "trim" lines (brass doors, etched glass, etc.). Mine is a basic Answer - nothing fancy - and essentially equivalent to the 1250 for burning purposes.

I love this little stove. I am providing about 65-75% of the heating requirements of my 1250 square foot house in Central NY (7500-8000 degree day climate) with it. My walls are old time 2x4 (4" thick) with blown-in fiberglass insulation. My floors are R-19 and my attic is R-49 with a well sealed hatch. I have average window amounts with old-time wooden framed storm windows (essentially R-3 windows). At 0 degrees outside temperature my heat loss is calculated to be about 25,000 BTUs/hour. My house floor plan isn't incredibly open, but the rooms farthest from the stove are the bedrooms, and we don't mind those at 60 degrees or so.

So, in terms of recommending this stove to others - I strongly recommend it. It's built really well, it works great, it has a nice firebox "surround" that allows reduced clearance and better installation as an insert (if that's what your considering). Mine is essentially an "alcove" installation in a fireplace opening that is about 5" larger on top and sides than the stove, so I use the blower on the stove to move the air out into the room. Blower works well - rarely have it off of low. It does hum somewhat on low, but I got used to it. I would recommend the blower (~$250 more) even if it is in an open installation. There have been times when I've packed the stove with some really dry hickory and hard maple, and when the secondary burn kicks in, it's nice to cool the stove off faster with the blower (plus you get the heat out into the room quicker).

If your friend is in a 3000-4000 degree day climate, I would say this stove is all he/she will need. In my colder climate, the size up would have been nice to have, BUT I wanted the stove to fit into the fireplace opening and not have to extend the hearth, so the Answer/1250 fit the bill. I never intended to get 100% heating from it, so the fact that I can get 65-75% with it has made me very pleased.

Thanks fellows for the input. Since we are a LOT farther south and in a much warmer climate than the NY area, that stove should do him quite well. Just FYI we have had a few 80 plus degree days in the last week or so. No freezing weather ahead that we can see. I think I will go ahead and buy one for him. Then we can install it as time permits. I know both he and his wife will be excited. He has been a very good employee for 20+ years so I consider the stove a good investment for the future!

That's a nice thing to do to reward his loyalty. That stove will last him a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.