Lopi baffle support question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lopiliberty

Minister of Fire
Oct 7, 2011
WV
This will be my 5th season with my liberty and I noticed my center baffle support is starting to sag in the middle and the metal is flaking. Its not deformed in any way just sagging. It does get red on a regular basis from the back air tube firing heavily. Should i expect this after 4 years?

Once I contacted travis industry and asked them if the air tubes should be glowing. They told me absolutely not, they said nothing should be glowing at anytime. According to them any glowing part is an indication of over firing.

Once I contacted travis industry and asked them if the air tubes should be glowing. They told me absolutely not, they said nothing should be glowing at anytime. According to them any glowing part is an indication of over firing.
What:eek: If that's the case then I overfire the stove on every load. I don't see how its possible to keep them from glowing unless you smolder the fire

A lot of time I thought the tubes were glowing but the reality was they were just reflecting glow of the wood.

A lot of time I thought the tubes were glowing but the reality was they were just reflecting glow of the wood.
Yea, sometimes that's the case here to and other times during the burn they are actually red. Might have to rethink my burning strategy.

On my freedom insert and my Cape Cod it was impossible to keep at least 1 tube from glowing. If you are cranking the thing up to heat your house, a tube is gonna glow. No way around it. The back of my Leyden would glow and there was no way to prevent it! According to Lopi, that voids the warranty. They build a product that glows under normal use and then claim you voided the warrant? Ok, rant over.
I see a little sag in baffle supports after 4/5 years. Its a very inexpensive part if it becomes a problem.

After 8 years last year, I had to replace all my angle iron supports. I bought new angle iron thicker and wider and had a welder cut and weld were needed. When these sag its time for me to move to a warmer place.

Five years is about the time I had to replace mine too. No big deal. If you need detail drawings of the whole roof support steel let me know. When I tore mine apart I reengineered the roof structural steel to last longer and withstand the hot fires. The original design is cheap, so they can make more profit. If you have a welder and abrasive saw these are easy to make

Another issue I have had is getting the door handle off, believe it or not. Even had to make a puller to get the interior dog pulled off the handle rod that goes thru the door.

If you want the drawings PM me and give me your email address.

Craig

Five years is about the time I had to replace mine too. No big deal. If you need detail drawings of the whole roof support steel let me know. When I tore mine apart I reengineered the roof structural steel to last longer and withstand the hot fires. The original design is cheap, so they can make more profit. If you have a welder and abrasive saw these are easy to make

Another issue I have had is getting the door handle off, believe it or not. Even had to make a puller to get the interior dog pulled off the handle rod that goes thru the door.

If you want the drawings PM me and give me your email address.

Craig
I have had issues with these handles too. It's able to just wiggle enough over the years to make the brass piece out of round. That can be real difficult to remove sometimes.

Reactions: davmor
Status
Not open for further replies.