Lopi Declaration

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrowningBAR

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
San Tan Valley, AZ
Looking at the Lopi Declaration. Anyone with any experience with one of these? If so what square footage did it heat? Any issues with it?

I just got mine up and running a little over a month ago so I don't have a whole lot of experience with it. Mine is located on the upper floor of my bi-level house which is the main level and is approximately 2000 sq ft. This stove can kick out some heat once it's cooking so I had no problem raising the temp of the main floor 5-6 degrees in a few hours and maintaining over the weekends. Being new to this game I didn't try loading in the morning on weekdays but would come home in the evening and be able to start a fire with left over coals from the previous evening. No real issues so far, except I sometimes get a blower motor vibration at certain stove temps. I went with this stove because I really liked the appearance and the maker, Travis Industries, has a good reputation, plus it got really good reviews where I could find them. Here's a picture of my install, where I hide the cord and recessed the front of the stove into the opening.

Attachments

• January - February 2009 051.jpg
    January - February 2009 051.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 535
Bob, do you have a damper block-off plate installed? With an external wall chimney, that could make a large difference in heat output from the insert.

AbeAinPa said:
I just got mine up and running a little over a month ago so I don't have a whole lot of experience with it. Mine is located on the upper floor of my bi-level house which is the main level and is approximately 2000 sq ft. This stove can kick out some heat once it's cooking so I had no problem raising the temp of the main floor 5-6 degrees in a few hours and maintaining over the weekends. Being new to this game I didn't try loading in the morning on weekdays but would come home in the evening and be able to start a fire with left over coals from the previous evening. No real issues so far, except I sometimes get a blower motor vibration at certain stove temps. I went with this stove because I really liked the appearance and the maker, Travis Industries, has a good reputation, plus it got really good reviews where I could find them. Here's a picture of my install, where I hide the cord and recessed the front of the stove into the opening.

That is nice looking! If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for the stove and was the installation straight forward? Is it any different than any other insert?

BrowningBAR said:
AbeAinPa said:

That is nice looking! If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for the stove and was the installation straight forward? Is it any different than any other insert?

The stove itself was right around $3K, liner etc. was additional $$. I did a recess install, so there was some extra work, a normal install should be similat to any other insert. If your opening is rather small, it might be a significant challenge to do this kind of install, mine was a significant amount of extra work as it was. The think to look for is how much room you’ll have left on the top after you raise the stove (you’ll need at least 3” I would say in order to be able to do the liner connection. I installed cobble stone on the bottom and angle iron on the three other sides to create the recessed opening, this amounted to a couple EXTRA weekend of work for me. Even with my rather large firebox, I still ended up with tight working conditions due to the recess and raise. The bigest problem I encountered was that by recessing the unit, the liner was just barely able to make the bend to pass through the old damper opening and up the chimney.

AbeAinPa said:
BrowningBAR said:
AbeAinPa said:

The stove itself was right around $3K, liner etc. was additional $$. I did a recess install, so there was some extra work, a normal install should be similat to any other insert. If your opening is rather small, it might be a significant challenge to do this kind of install, mine was a significant amount of extra work as it was. The think to look for is how much room you’ll have left on the top after you raise the stove (you’ll need at least 3” I would say in order to be able to do the liner connection. I installed cobble stone on the bottom and angle iron on the three other sides to create the recessed opening, this amounted to a couple EXTRA weekend of work for me. Even with my rather large firebox, I still ended up with tight working conditions due to the recess and raise. The bigest problem I encountered was that by recessing the unit, the liner was just barely able to make the bend to pass through the old damper opening and up the chimney.

Thanks, I really appreciate the information you passed along.

Status
Not open for further replies.