Lopi Freedom blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trguitar

Feeling the Heat
Dec 2, 2011
Harvard, MA
Hey Guys,

First time poster, but have been lurking since last spring when I installed a Lopi Freedom in my house. I didn't get the blower, and now I'm questioning whether I should.

I have a 2300 sf Cape with an open floor concept. The house was built in the early 80s, and is insulated quite well. The fireplace is centrally located on the main floor, and the stairs to the second floor are about 10 feet away from the stove. Seems to me like an ideal setup for an insert. I have a small fan placed on the floor to blow across the front of the stove from the side to better circulate the air. I can get the downstairs to about 68 on a cold night (20s or 30s). But, this is with the air control slider fully pushed in for an open burn.

The stove burns great. I am able to get great overnight burns, and the temp only drops into the low 60s. I'm burning 6 year old red oak right now.

Should I be able to get the temps higher downstairs? Like into the mid-70s? Will the blower help with that? Maybe I'm not filling the stove full enough? What are other Freedom owners experiences?

Is this stove sitting back in the fireplace or is it set out some? I think that makes a big difference.
A blower is going to help to move the air for sure. I would get one.
And it sounds like you might not be getting it hot enough, long enough, to warm the room like it should. 68* is cold in my living room.

Yes, the stove sticks out about 7 or 8 inches. It's a great cooktop. Used it a month ago when I lost power for 4 days.

When should I see the secondaries kick in? Right now, I only see them going when the fire is roaring with air control fully open, or if I damp it down for an overnight burn. When I have the air control fully open, and the flames start to turn to coals, I don't see the secondaries putting out any flames. Should I? The stove top temp is around 550-600.

Status
Not open for further replies.